Electronics-Lab.com Community

12v 1A automatic charger fault, loud buzzing from transformer.

ben1990

Hey guys, bought a 12v 1 amp automatic sealed lead acid battery charger yesterday for a project, cut mains plug off and alligator clips off and hardwired it into a project, left in original case. It worked fine for about 10 minutes and a loud buzzing started. I unplugged it and it stopped. Double checked wiring and polarity, all fine. I disconnected the charger from the batteries and it stops, although a faint hum is still audible from the transformer. I pulled it apart to double check the noise was coming from the transformer, and it is. its a typical laminated iron core 240v primary to a centre tapped secondary, disconnected the transformer from the board, and open-circuit voltage is 42v across the whole secondary and 21v between each end and the centre tap. Anyone had a transformer act like this? Should I solder the leads back to the board and just let it run to see if it goes away? Not real keen on an electrical fire haha. Any help appreciated. Note: warranty is probably out of the question seeing as I cut the mains plug off and the alligator clips. Was only $20 bucks but still, would like to not have to resort to another charger.