Electronics-Lab.com Community

Solar driven car

Guest Bindlestick

Guest Bindlestick

Hey! I was thinking of making a solar driven car from this solar panel:
http://www.wholesalesolar.com/products.folder/module-folder/Helios/9T6-410.html

I have 410 wattage, and outputs 366 watt at it's highest efficiency. It gives 8 amps.

I was thinking of using a DC brush motor, but it needs to be strong and drag 200 pounds.

Any tips on what motor to use?

//B

Guest Bindlestick

Well I was thinking of making a boxcar with only a battery, solar panel as roof, steering and two gears with a bicycle chain.

And I was thinking of only driving when it was sunny. :)

How do you calculate how much power you need from the cells? I was thinking of driving from direct sunlight.

Guest Bindlestick

So what motor would be the best? I have seen brushed and brush-less DC motors which seem to work nicely. But do they have enough power? And do they use lots of power as well?

Guest Bindlestick

Alright. Yes I checked scooter motors and they take about 2400 watts to power them. 24 volt, 100 watt.

But that's 6 solar panels and the span of it will be 6 meters. Can it really be so hard to make a effective solar car which runs on direct sunlight?

Alright. Yes I checked scooter motors and they take about 2400 watts to power them. 24 volt, 100 watt.

But that's 6 solar panels and the span of it will be 6 meters. Can it really be so hard to make a effective solar car which runs on direct sunlight?

You answered your own question. It seems to be impossible unless it is a lightweight little toy car.

Guest Bindlestick

Well yes. I need a motor of at least 9 hp, and that's 9000 watts after some research. But this car:

Seems to just need about max 3 by 4 meters span of solar-panels to run at efficient speed. My point Im making here is just that it seems reasonable to make a solar-powered car. They have made it, and therefore I should too. But what motor do they use if they only have 12 m^2 of solar-panels?

Low-friction wheels I see, which is good for the power-output but other than that. I dont see how it's working.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...