Electronics-Lab.com Community

Arduino voltmeter and a Noritake VFD

Guest liquibyte

Guest liquibyte

A couple of you know that I recently lost a hard drive and had to get another one.  In the course of getting things set back up I had issues with Arduino not compiling the sample code that comes with the libraries or previous code that I wrote to work with Noritake vacuum fluorescent displays.  What happens is the code compiles fine but the displays output garbage.  Apparently the avr-gcc compiler Arduino has bundled with its IDE is either broken or old and out of date.  I run Archlinux so I don't know if this is the case for other distros or it it's the case for windows users but if you run into this issue, here's what I did to fix it.  First, the fix for a broken avr-gcc:

Install avr-gcc with pacman (not an AUR version) and do the following.

# cd /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin
# mv ./avr-gcc ./avr-gcc-backup
# ln -s /usr/bin/avr-gcc ./

Now the code compiles right and ouputs what it should. On to the fun part.  I came across the secret voltmeter code on a forum somewhere and ended up at Google where the original code was published.  I had also recently gotten a sample of a Noritake GU128X32D-7003 after a recent post over at EEVBlog forums.  I had the thought that it would be nice to combine the two and see what I could come up with.  If you follow the directions that came with the display and hook pin 1 to 5V, pin 2 to #2, pin 3 to GND, pin 4 to #3, (pin 5 isn't used) and pin 6 to #4 on the Arduino board and compile the following code and upload it, you'll have what's in the pic.  Neat huh?

#include <GU7000_Interface.h>
#include <GU7000_Serial_Async.h>
#include <Noritake_VFD_GU7000.h>

GU7000_Serial_Async interface(115200, 2, 3, 4); // BAUD,SIN,BUSY,RESET

const long scaleConst = 1135.53 * 1000;       // internalRef * 1023 * 1000 (mine reads 1.11V so 1.11*1023*1000=1135530)

long readVcc() {
  // Read 1.1V reference against AVcc
  // set the reference to Vcc and the measurement to the internal 1.1V reference
  ADMUX = _BV(REFS0) | _BV(MUX3) | _BV(MUX2) | _BV(MUX1);
  delay(2);                                    // Wait for Vref to settle
  ADCSRA |= _BV(ADSC);                         // Start conversion
  while (bit_is_set(ADCSRA,ADSC));             // measuring
  uint8_t low  = ADCL;                         // must read ADCL first - it then locks ADCH 
  uint8_t high = ADCH;                         // unlocks both
  long result = (high<<8) | low;
  result = scaleConst / result;                // Calculate Vcc (in mV)
  return (int)result;                          // Vcc in millivolts
}

Noritake_VFD_GU7000 vfd;

void setup() {
  vfd.begin(128, 32);                          // 128x32 module
  vfd.interface(interface);                    // select which interface to use
  vfd.isModelClass(7003);                      // select display model 128x32
  vfd.GU7000_reset();                          // reset module
  vfd.GU7000_init();                           // initialize module
  _delay_ms(300);                              // wait for device to power up
}

void printVoltage(){
  int mv = readVcc();
  vfd.GU7000_setFontSize(3, 2, false);
  vfd.GU7000_setFontStyle(false, false);
  vfd.print(mv / 1000, DEC);                   // print the integer value of the voltage  
  vfd.print(".");                              // print the decimal place
  vfd.print(mv % 1000, DEC);                   // print the rest of the voltage in millivolts
  vfd.GU7000_lineFeed();                       // start new line
  vfd.GU7000_carriageReturn();                 // return to the left
  vfd.print("Volts");
  vfd.GU7000_lineFeed();                       // start new line
  vfd.GU7000_carriageReturn();                 // return to the left
}

void loop() {
  printVoltage();
  _delay_ms(300);
}

post-107142-14279144674297_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Guest Dan Kruger

Now the code compiles right and ouputs what it should.

On to the fun part.  I came across the secret voltmeter code on a forum somewhere and ended up at Google where the original code was published.  I had also recently gotten a sample of a Noritake GU128X32D-7003 after a recent post over at EEVBlog forums.  I had the thought that it would be nice to combine the two and see what I could come up with.  If you follow the directions that came with the display and hook pin 1 to 5V, pin 2 to #2, pin 3 to GND, pin 4 to #3, (pin 5 isn't used) and pin 6 to #4 on the Arduino board and compile the following code and upload it, you'll have what's in the pic.  Neat huh?

Hi there, looks very neat, indeed. It's cool that you have shared your experience with everybody. It'll be useful for all engaged in electronics sphere. Personally I work for Promwad electronic product development company and sometimes I feel I need some pieces of andvice. So I bookmarked the forum for future refences. Thanks, liquibyte, your share is awesome.

• 2 years later...