Electronics-Lab.com Community

clipping circuit

Guest bhuvaneshnick

Guest bhuvaneshnick

First i admit i am weak on basics.See the image, i am measuring the voltage across the diode.Actually it only passes positive wave,but it also passing negative value.what i misunderstood here.

post-108856-14279144676538_thumb.png

Like you were told on the other website, your signal generator is not real, it is a simulation with ZERO output impedance. Its voltage is shown as normal even when its output is shorted for each positive half-cycle by the diode.

In real life the signal generator output impedance will be 50 ohms or more and the diode will cause the positive part of the waveform to be clipped.

• 3 years later...

The clipping circuit does not have energy storage elements like capacitors but it includes both resistors and transistors. This circuit is normally used for the selection in the transmission purpose. The ability of diodes to allow the flow of current in only one direction. A diode is best tested by measuring the voltage drop across the diode when it is forward-biased. A forward-biased diode acts as a closed switch, permitting current to flow. No voltage exists at the diode but voltage may be present in the circuit due to charged capacitors.