Electronics-Lab.com Community
Sign in to follow this  
flippityflop

parallel bridge rectifiers

alright, i've set out almost exactly a year ago to build the 0-30V power supply in the project section (or at least a slightly modified version of it). well, a year afterwards i'm finally getting on with it (took me long enough, but i was preoccupied with other things).

anyways, i'm building it in modular units so i can mix match and borrow sections for other projects. i'm assembling the dead easy rectifier unit (the diode bridge, capacitor and a small LC filter -- the filter just for kicks).
as for the diode bridge i have 3 of these:
https://www.digikey.ca/product-search/en?vendor=0&keywords=641-1383-ND

i've always meant to use them in parallel, so to increase the current rating. i`ve tried 2 together in parallel, months ago and what it did was to overheat very quickly, so i unplugged it immediately. thankfully neither of the bridges burnt out. then that was the only time i decided to read up a bit and found out that a slight difference in voltage drop causes significant difference in heating and with NTC, ends to a slippery slope of over-currenting.

but i happen to see this:

would this work to increase the current rating as simply the sum of each bridge??

It should help to improve current sharing, since the diodes connected in parallel are in the same module.

Copper is a good conductor of heat, better than aluminium. The only reason why it's not used very often is because it's more expensive and heavier than aluminium.