Electronics-Lab.com Community

My first project - A simple regulated power supply 30V

Guest Jaxelo

We shouldn't really be concerned with its age - the newer ones are mostly digitalized from what I've seen plus if it worked 50 years ago why wouldn't it work now? :D
Those don't look that simple to be honest - for me at least - since I'm only getting into electronics.
The only problem is I can't find the values of the transformers for the hp and the other's scan is quite terrible...

I think I'm going to build the ELV one for now and see how it performs but I need to order some parts so I will probably only get to building it next weekend. I will be putting it on a stripboard for now, if it works out well I might design a pcb off the schematic in the PDF.

Guest liquibyte

You won't find the standard values in any of the commercial supplies because they have them custom wound for the most part.  You'll only find standard values in hobby supplies designed around them I'm thinking.  I agree that the scan is fairly bad for the PD but it's legible compared to some of them, trust me.  I've been trying to fix the issues on the other supply and I think I've come up with a fairly reasonable solution to its shortcomings but I'm staring to think that all supplies may suffer from this issue if they're op amp based unless they've specifically been designed with transient protection built in.  I'm going to model up both of these taking into account the non standard parts and substituting for them when possible and changing values accordingly.  Personally I like the HP supply as it is and had ordered a selection of op amps to base a design on it specifically.

As for being new, so am I.  From what I've studied, these designs are as simple as you're going to get from any of the commercial offerings.  The reason that I find flaws is probably because I'm more thorough due to being stubborn and wanting to make sure that everything falls within specs.  LTSpice is a godsend for that, saves you wasting parts if you're careful and check everything.  It's how I came to the conclusion that the negative rail on the other one probably wasn't needed.