Electronics-Lab.com Community

Mini HD Video Recorder

Guest jtroutt19

Guest jtroutt19

Hey Peeps!

So I have frequented this page over the years and had an Idea for something but am needing some assistance in how to build it. I fly RC and am wanting to design a small HD video recorder that will fit within the canopy of one of my gliders. I have a FLIP MINI HD that doesn't work anymore. I was thinking I could use the CCD inside of it and design a new PCB has the circuity to run the camera and record to an SD card. I don't need sound just video. I have experience making PCB's as well as a entry level knowledge of electronic theory and operation. I feel like It would be hard to find a datasheet for the CCD. Any Ideas on how I could accomplish this? I want at least 720p video. I know I could buy a camera on a board and hook it up to an arduino but that would not be doing it myself. I have this obsession of trying to build things from scratch, within reason of course. So please lets hear some Ideas!

Unless you are dead keen to make one yourself, have you considered buying one of these very cheap Chinese camcorders?
You couldn't make anything as light and as cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-MD80-DV-Camcorder-DVR-Digital-Video-Recorder-Sport-Camera-SPY-Hidden-Webcam-/201208835814?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item2ed8fb2ee6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smallest-Mini-5MP-HD-DV-Spy-Digital-Camera-Video-Recorder-Camcorder-Webcam-DVR-/141075746093?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item20d8c50d2d

Guest jtroutt19

Yeah I have but the issue here is the height of that. I need something custom build for what I am trying to accomplish. That is why I am wanting to build it myself. I am not against buying a camera module and using a micro arduino, or even printing up a circuit board that will hold an atmel MC. I kinda suck at programming.....one of my tougher subjects I am trying to learn. I am also into not spending a lot of money. I harvest a lot of my components I use and have gobs of stuff literally an amount so large my wife is on me constantly trying to get me to thrown them away...lol. Anyway so yeah I am open to any ideas though. That link you provided would be great if the after the camera the body bent at a 90 degree angle.

Guest jtroutt19

It is a pusher glider. But no I am trying to save space in the canopy for other things eventually. That is why I am wanting to put this together myself. So I can build it to suit my needs.