Electronics-Lab.com Community

Dry Box Battery Charger

Guest adiamant13

Guest adiamant13

Hi guys I am building a battery charger station for my kayak. I am using a dry box to put everything in. I want to get a SLA battery and run it to a 12v socket to plug in things like my iPod and phone or any other 12 volt item. I am using 12 gauge wire. I also want to add something to use as a charger and possibly add another 12v socket. I noticed one of the ones built online uses a trolling plug to use as a way to charge the batteries and also in case hes using a trolling motor he can run it off the batteries. I am not trying to use the trolling plug method for charging. The charger comes with two alligator clips that I was going to cut and solder to another type of plug. I was thinking a 12v plug and charging it through the 12v socket. If there is a better plug and way to do this though any tips would be appreciated.

My largest concern is how to wire everything. Do I run the postive/negative of the battery to the postive/negative of the 12v socket and then from there to the postive/negative of the next 12v socket and then  to the postive/negative of the charging plug (if I use something other than the 12v for charging the battery)? If this is the set up do I need to wire from the last socket in the line back to the battery, or do I just stop wiring at the last socket?

Also when charging depending on if I am using the 12v or another plug do I need to special wire the socket it anyway to be able to send current back to the battery, or is power allowed to flow back and forth from the battery to the sockets or from the sockets to the battery?
I am also curious if there are any precautions or things I might need to add like an inverter or fuses that will protect my electronics from over charging or any other issue that would also be greatly appreciated.

I watched the video and there are some parts of the build they do not show. Since few people who built it have posted videos and only show the item instead of showing exactly how everything is wired I found my way here to see if anyone can help. There is a lot of info here and I hope it makes sense. I appreciate any input anyone can provide. Thank you.