Electronics-Lab.com Community

Project: MAX6953 development board - where are the resistors?

Guest georgedb

Guest georgedb

I came accross the development board project to have a Maxim MAX6953 control up to 4 dot matrix 5x7 displays. I had a look at the PCB and schematic, but aren't current limiting resistors needed? The dot matrix displays are just row and column organised LED's I'd say and as far as I know, no resistor is integrated. A current limiting resistor could be integrated in the MAX6953, but I couldn't really find that in the datasheet (which is a bit too technical for me). I read something about the intensity that can be controlled, maybe through PWM, but even then I'd expect current limiting resistors... I'd be happy if they're no needed as it saves quite some hassle ;-)

Guest georgedb

Thanks! OK, this works totally diffetrent then I expected, as I always learned the the LED will take as much current as it can (and therefore destroy itself), but this ISET limits the max current on the output pins in some sort of "soft" controlled setting...