Electronics-Lab.com Community

Scooter motor to power wood lathe

johnsmith1212

Hi! I'm new here so if this topic has already been covered or if it's in the wrong category, be gentle.

more: can ho 17 pham hung
I know enough about electronics to make me dangerous. I have a wood lathe and want to power it with a DC motor to be able to get better speed control. I have seen people use treadmill motors. I happen to have a few old 24 volt electric scooters (the larger kind with seat not the smaller stand-up only kind). I'd like to use that motor. I want to use AC to supply power to it. I'd like a speed control that goes from 0% to 100% and be able to reverse rotation. What is the best way to go about this? Can I use the controller and speed control from the scooter and power it with a transformer or DC power supply? Do I need to buy a different controller?

more: can ho iris garden
I don't have the specs for the scooters until I drag them out of storage (big job); I'm just looking for a general. You need to have a X big enough to supply Y with enough power kind of answer. 

Thanks!