Electronics-Lab.com Community

12 volt under voltage controller wiring

Alan Gill

I'm wondering if you could help me with a question about using a low voltage controller on a 12 volt car auxiliary circuit.

The set up I have is this:

A 12 volt auxiliary battery that provides power for a 12 v fridge. The auxiliary battery is charged via the alternator and a solar panel.

I want to put a low voltage controller into the circuit so that the battery does not get drained below 11 volts.

I have purchased a control unit but I am concerned that the wiring for the fridge is too heavy for the small controller to wire it directly into the circuit.

What I am wondering is can I wire the low voltage controller through a relay that would turn the power on and off to the fridge? I assume that I would need to put some sort of electrically controlled switch that the relay would activate.

That seems like a good idea. I gather that such refrigerators draw something like 5 to 7 amperes. A relay could handle that; such as:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Philips-ECG-RLY1522-12-Volt-DC-Coil-10-Amp-SPDT-General-Purpose-Relay/251877100313?epid=2282812589&hash=item3aa50b8b19:g:qVsAAOSw7ZFVAh~t  

I  think one should put a diode across the relay coil (in reverse) to protect the controller.