Electronics-Lab.com Community

Repairing my Studio Microphones

Bandog Studios

Hello, I am studio Owner and audio engineer in Cuenca Ecuador, (for those of you who don't know that's in South America).  I have a significant number of dynamic, condenser, Ribbon and tube Microphones, But no way of repairing them.  there are no trust worthy technicians here and Shipping back the the manufacturer is not an option.  I am trying to educate myself in order to both repair my microphones and offer my services to other local studios and live venues.  I have a basic algebra knowledge base and am looking for a course or book to push me forward.  I have bought a copy of the art of electronics and have started to read that but any other help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you 

Peter Boynton

Hunter College has a course in electronics that is  online. That maybe helpful:
Lessons are ElectronicsLab1.pdf through ElectronicsLab15.pdf

http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/physics/courses/physics222/repository/files/pdf/

"Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Scherz and Monk is a very  good book by not cheap.

Hi Peter.

It's quite a difficult question to answer, since building microphones can be a full time profession. I'd start with the dynamic microphones first, in these there is usually not much electronics inside - there is the transducer and usually a transformer. So with good hands and a good soldering iron you can probably fix the microphones, i.e if there are loose connections or just swap in replacement parts. 

Ribbons are also simple in their  internals. usually just a thin corrugated foil surrounded by magnets and a transformer. Here also you can fix but you need to be very careful since the aluminum foil is extremely fragile. Please be sure to start on microphones that you fell you have nothing to lose on and have in hand lots of replacement foil. 

With condensers,  I would refrain from advising you to repair yourself. Condensers require deep knowledge of the electronic circuit. You can however swap in a microphone capsule if you see you capsule is damaged. 

Other option with condensers is to start out with a ready kit with instructions and just solder it.

I hope this helps you. You can check my page also at facebook ePiccloMicrophones, or check out my webpage:

https://www.epiccolo.com

Best of luck

Guy

Hey Guy and Harry,

Honestly that's the direction I'm going, "A full time profession" I will take your suggestions about Dynamic microphones, and yes Ribbons are quite easy since I have already assembled the matching pair of RM-6's that I have,  But my main goal is to be able to repair my Bluebird mic and my Cascade Elroy.  Replacing Diaphragms is easy I've already replaced two diaphragms on my Cascade M179's.  I absolutely need to learn how to do this and I'm not stopping until I do.  My end goal is to eventually be the top and only microphone repair shop in Ecuador.  I will look at Hunter College too (Thanks Harry).  and I will definitely find a copy of "Practical Electronics for Inventors".  Condensers are my weak point since getting access to Schematics from manufacturers is almost impossible.  I have thought about contacting the Library of congress to see if I can get my hands on some of them but I have not pursued it yet.  Thanks for everything.   

• 3 weeks later...