Electronics-Lab.com Community

MicroPython is supported on RTL8722 -- Ameba

MENG XI

📣 RTL8722 MicroPython SDK alpha release

It was annouced that the popular MicroPython project has been ported to ameba RTL8722, with support for peripheral control and Python 3 syntax, you may now control RTL8722 not only with Arduino but also with Python language on the REPL. The SDK is currently in alpha stage and WiFi feature is going to release soon. If you are interested , please find links to the SDK on Github at.

Here are introduction and basic examples to this port,

MicroPython Ameba RTL8722 Documentation

Realtek's RTL8722 is a ARM Cortex-M33 based, dual-band WiFi and BLE 5.0 capable microntroller that is ideal for many IoT applications.

This is a alpha version of the MicroPython port for Ameba RTL8722 platform, details of the platform can be found here https://www.amebaiot.com/en/amebad/

1. How to build firmware?

Currently, this SDK only support building on Cygwin or Linux.

Before preceed, please make sure that you have already installed GNU make

Open Cygwin terminal/Ubuntu terminal and navigate to "\micropython_amebaD\MicroPython_RTL8722\ports\rtl8722" and then type,

$ make

2. How to upload?

There are 2 methods to upload Ameba D MicroPython image to your Ameba.

2.1 Release folder

In the release folder, there is a Double-Click-Me-to-Upload.cmd file.

First we right click on it and select 'Edit', and a notepad will open, now check your Ameba's serial COM port on your PC and update the correct one to the third last line of the file, then save the file and close it.

Now press RESET button while holding down UART Download button to enter Download Mode, and you can double click Double-Click-Me-to-Upload.cmd now and the uploading will start shortly.

2.2 port/rtl8722 folder

1st, check your ameba Serial/COM port, make sure Ameba D's port name is correctly updated in the UPLOAD_PATH variable in the Makefile;

2nd, press RESET button while holding down UART Download button to enter Download Mode, Then, type following command,

$ make upload

3. How to use MicroPython RTL8722 Port?

3.1 Brief introduction to MicroPython RTL8722 port

MicroPython distinguishes itself from other compilation-based platforms (Arduino etc.) with its powerful method of real-time interaction with Microcontroller through a built-in feature -- REPL.

REPL stands for Read-Evaluation-Print-Loop, it's an interactive prompt that you can use to access and control your microcontroller.

REPL has been equipped with other powerful features like tab completion, line editing, auto-indentation, input history and more. It basically functions like the classic Python IDLE but running on microcontroller.

To use REPL, simply open any serial terminal software (most common ones are teraterm, putty etc.) on your PC and connect to your microcontroller's serial port, then set baudrate to 115200 before reset the board, then you will see >>> MicroPython prompt appear on the console. Now you may type in any Python script on REPL as long as it's support by MicroPython and your microcontroller's MicroPython port.

3.2 REPL Hotkeys

1. Ctrl + d : Soft reboot MicroPython will perform software reboot, this is useful when your microcontroller is behaving abnormally. This will also run scripts in 'boot.py' once again.

2. Ctrl + e : Paste mode Paste mode allow you to perform pasting a large trunk of code into REPL at once without executing code line by line. This is useful when you have found a MicroPython library and wish to test it out immediately by copy and paste

3. Ctrl + b : Normal mode This hotkey will set REPL back to normal mode. This is useful if you are stuck in certain mode and can not get out.

4. Ctrl + c : Quick cancel This hotkey help you to cancel any input or interrupt currently running code

4. Peripheral Control -- umachine module

MicroPython Ameba D port supports rich peripheral feature through the use of umachine module

GPIO

To control GPIO, import Pin module through umachine. Here pin PB_18 is used as an example to output logic level 0 and 1 and blink 3 times

from umachine import Pin
a = Pin("PB_18", Pin.OUT)
a.value(1)
time.sleep_ms(500)
a.value(0)
time.sleep_ms(500)
a.on()
time.sleep_ms(500)
a.off()
time.sleep_ms(500)
a.toggle()
time.sleep_ms(500)
a.toggle()

PWM

To use PWM (Pulse Width Modulation), import PWM module through umachine. Here pin PA_26 is used as an example to make an LED to slowly brighten up

from umachine import Pin, PWM
import time as t
p = PWM(pin = "PA_26")
for i in range(1000):
p.pulsewidth(i) # this and following line will be auto indented on REPL
t.sleep_ms(2)

Delay and Timing

Use the time module

import time
time.sleep(1)           # sleep for 1 second
time.sleep_ms(500)      # sleep for 500 milliseconds
time.sleep_us(10)       # sleep for 10 microseconds
start = time.ticks_ms() # get millisecond counter

Timer

Use the Timer module through umachine module

There are 4 sets of 32KHz General Timers available to user, Timer 0/1/2/3

from umachine import Timer
t = Timer(0)  # Use Timer 0/1/2/3 only
t.start(2000000, t.PERIODICAL)  # Set GTimer fired periodically at duration of 2 seconds, printing text on the terminal

RTC

Use the RTC (Real Time Clock) module through umachine module

from umachine import RTC
rtc = RTC()
rtc.datetime((2020, 12, 31, 4, 23, 58, 59, 0)) # set a specific date and time (year, month, day, weekday(0 for Monday), hour, minute, second, total seconds)
rtc.datetime() # get date and time

UART

Use the UART module through umachine module

from umachine import UART
uart = UART(tx="PA_21", rx= "PA_22")
uart.write('hello')
uart.read(5) # read up to 5 bytes

I2C

Use the I2C (Inter-Integrated Circuit) module through umachine module

Note: I2C only works in master mode.

from umachine import Pin, I2C
i2c = I2C(scl = "PA_25", sda = "PA_26", freq=100000) # configure I2C with pins and freq. of 100KHz
i2c.scan()
i2c.writeto(8, 'hello') # send 5 bytes to slave with address 8
i2c.readfrom(8, 6) # receive 5 bytes from slave

SPI

Use the SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) module through umachine module, currently only support Master mode, default SPI baud rate is 2MHz.

from umachine import SPI
spi = SPI(0)		# Only support 2 sets of SPI -- 0 and 1 
spi 				# type instance name to check for details of the SPI set 
spi.write(123)		# Write number 123 
spi.read()