Electronics-Lab.com Community

Controlling Yihua 995D for USB control

stealthrt

I recently purchased a YIHUA 995D SMD Rework Station and me being the geek that I am wanted to see if I could perhaps control it (via USB/ATMEGA) by using my PC and touch screen instead of physically doing so with my hands. Being able to control it via PC would allow me to mount the 995D under my desk and out of sight so that I have more room to work with on the top of my desk.

However, I have limited knowledge on "snooping" or "Reverse Engineering" and that is why I am posting my project ideas here in hopes that someone more knowledgeable will be able to let me know what all I need to do in order to accomplish my task.

I started out thinking I would just simply hook up the ATMEGA and just control the buttons/knobs and leave everything else as-is and just use a webcam focus only on the LCD to view what was on. Although that would work, its not ideal nor is it geeky enough ;D .

The LCD screen seems to be controlled by the chip Holtek ht1621b. The website for it defines it as a "RAM Mapping 32x4 LCD Controller for I/O MCU". Here is the datasheet for it.

enter image description here

There also seems to be another chip which seems to be the main MCU? It's called the S3 Microcontrollers u820 s3f8s19xzz-qr89 and it's datasheet.

I've noticed that the IC above has a TX/RX Uart line(s) looking at the diagram on page 9 of the datasheet.

I've noticed that the IC above has a TX/RX UART line(s) looking at the diagram on page 9 of the datasheet.

9.7 Port 4

Port 4 is an 8-bit I/O port with individually configurable pins. Port 4 pins are accessed directly by writing or reading the port 4 data register, P4 at location F5H in set 1, bank 1. P4.0–P4.7 can serve as inputs (with or without pullups) and outputs (push pull or open-drain). P4.7–P4.0 can serve as segment pins for LCD or you can configure the alternative functions:

Low-byte pins (P4.0-P4.3): T0OUT, TBOUT, TACLK, TACAP, TAOUT

High-byte pins (P4.4-P4.7): TxD1, RxD1, TxD0, RxD0

Would this be something I could use to read and write the needed info/data to/from the micro controller chip? Would simply getting a USB to UART cable and hooking it up to those 2 pins work like it would when reading RS232 data on an Arduino?

I have high resolution images of the 995D here so that you can see the main board and all it has to offer for this to potentially happen.

So I am looking forward in learning from others on here as to what I could do for this to happen - or laugh at me and tell me its not possible at which will only get me more interested in doing it :).

Disclaimer: Also posted on these sites:
electronics.stackexchange.com
Electronicspoint.com
electro-tech-online.com
electronics-lab.com
EEVBlog.com
avrfreaks.net