Electronics-Lab.com Community

Bypass Capacitor Using Recommendations

Ivanlee

Hi, all
I have built new crossovers for my Thiels using mostly Clarity CSA caps. On the coax board, the two feeds and subfeed are bypassed with Multicap RTX (~1%). I am super happy with the SQ improvement. Well-recorded music sounds fantastic, just sublime. Really hard to fault, especially at this price point. Excellent transients with resolution and transparency for days; adding the RTX added a bit to the transients and resolution. But poorly recorded music is now more evident than ever and can sound relatively "cool", even thin, most notably on vocals. I’m wondering if a double bypass or different bypass cap might add a bit more flesh or hint of warmth. The Jupiter copper foil at 0.01 uF caught my interest but I’ve read reports that this small of capacitance can be inaudible, as well as reports that it can make a big difference (eg, humblehomemadehifi review of Dueland bypass).

Questions:
a) do you think a different bypass or double bypass would result in the sound I seek?
b) if yes, more likely to get a good result with Jupiter double bypass at 0.01 uF or, say, Audyn True Copper Max at ~1%.

Is there anyone have ideas of it? Many thanks.

• 2 months later...

I found they do make a difference - even 0.01uF. It depends on what flavour you want or what you want to change.

The Jupiters, Audyn copper max and also Duelund JDM's are all interesting bypass caps. If you are looking to keep the cost down, it could be worth trying the Duelund JDM copper 0.01uF ...I prefer the silver and tinned copper but they are twice the price. They are very clear caps. The Audyn's are more punchy and aggressive IMO ..but I like that, so it depends on your system and tastes I found the Jupiters give a bit more middle (body) and top but are not quite as clear as the other two ...but thats testing in my system ..so its just opinion. I was surprised at how much they can affect the overall sound when I first tried them as it didn't make a lot of sense to me before I tried them.

Hope that helps