Electronics-Lab.com Community

Using a buck-boost converter

Anders Weile

I bought this little converter - a DM13B-3.3 which accepts a voltage range from 2.5 to 15V.

My problem is that it just seems to short circuit the battery - a 3.7V Li-ion. I'm positive (no pun intended) that I connected the right polarity. The unit got extremely hot in a matter of seconds and started to smell.

Have I misunderstood something very basic? The battery at Vin, 3.3V at Vout, right?

I have one other unit, but ask for advice, before I sacrifice that one, too.

buckboost.jpg.52d5f42d3f4cf01bb1af50eefcbc7912.jpg

Try measuring the input resistance at the +Vin and -Vin. On the up/down converters I have they  measure 400k to 2meg ohms. Perhaps comparing the two would be helpful. One has to expect failures from these inexpensive  Chinese modules.       

• 4 months later...
On 11/9/2022 at 3:41 PM, Anders Weile said:

I bought this little converter - a DM13B-3.3 which accepts a voltage range from 2.5 to 15V.

My problem is that it just seems to short circuit the battery - a 3.7V Li-ion. I'm positive (no pun intended) that I connected the right polarity. The unit got extremely hot in a matter of seconds and started to smell.

Have I misunderstood something very basic? The battery at Vin, 3.3V at Vout, right?

I have one other unit, but ask for advice, before I sacrifice that one, too.

Sonic exe

buckboost.jpg.52d5f42d3f4cf01bb1af50eefcbc7912.jpg

I don't think it's a Chinese module. Is it true Anders Weile?

It's possible that there is a problem with the unit itself or with how it's being connected to the battery. Before trying again with the other unit, I would recommend checking the connections to make sure they are correct and not loose or shorting out. It's also a good idea to double-check the specs of the battery and converter to make sure they are compatible.