PiCAN3 CAN Bus HAT for Raspberry Pi 4 with 3A Power Supply And Real-Time Clock
Copperhill Technologies announced the release of its PiCAN3 CAN-Bus Board for the Raspberry Pi 4, adding Controller Area Network capabilities plus a real-time clock to the new Raspberry CPU.
The PiCAN3 board with SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) provides CAN-Bus capabilities for the Raspberry Pi 4. It uses the Microchip MCP2515 CAN controller with MCP2551 CAN transceiver. The CAN Bus and power supply connections are made via the onboard DB9 or screw terminal.
There is an easy-to-install SocketCAN driver, and programming can be accomplished in C or Python.
The onboard PCF8523 is a CMOS Real-Time Clock (RTC) and calendar chip optimized for low power consumption. Data is transferred serially via the I²C-bus with a maximum data rate of 1000 kbit/s. Alarm and timer functions are accessible with the opportunity to produce a wake-up signal on an interrupt pin. An offset register allows fine-tuning of the clock. The PCF8523 has a backup battery switch-over circuit, which detects power failures and automatically switches to the battery supply when a power failure occurs.
- CAN 2.0B at 1 Mb/s
- High speed SPI Interface (10 MHz)
- Standard and extended data and remote frames
- CAN Bus connection via standard 9-way sub-D connector or screw terminal
- Compatible with OBDII cable
- Solder bridge to set different configuration for DB9 connector
- Onboard 120 Ohm termination resistor
- Serial LCD ready
- LED indicator
- Footprint for two mini push buttons
- Four fixing holes, comply with Pi Hat standard
- SocketCAN driver, appears as can0 to application
- Interrupt RX on GPIO25
- 5VDC@3A SMPS to power Raspberry Pi and accessories from DB9 or screw terminal
- Reverse polarity protection
- High efficiency switch mode design
- 6 VDC to 20 VDC input range
- RTC with battery backup (battery not included, requires CR1225 cell)
The Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS) allows connecting an input voltage range of 6 VDC to 20 VDC, making the board suitable for industrial and automotive applications and environments. The SMPS powers the Raspberry Pi plus PICAN3 and eliminates the need for a Micro-USB power supply.
The PiCAN3 is available for $64.95 with free shipping in the U.S. at Copperhill Technologies. More information may be found in the remarkably hype-free announcement and the PiCAN3 product and shopping page.
Join 97,426 other subscribers