Suggest device for logging AC current?

baldguyfromblackpool

Dec 18, 2025
29
Joined
Dec 18, 2025
Messages
29
I have a Zappi EV charger which is working fine when I plug my BYD car into it, but when Mrs Baldguy plugs her MG into it, all sorts of crazy happen.

I've been through many menus and manual chapters trying to figure out what's wrong but nothing has worked so far. What I -have- noticed though is that very often when she tries to charge, the lights throughout the house often dim momentarily as if a sudden very high load is being imposed.

It's always very fleeting though, and the normal reporting screens for the car, Zappi and solar/battery system feeding them, have nowhere near enough temporal resolution to show any detail.

I'm looking for some kind of minimally invasive, maybe CT-based logging device, that I could use to record the current draw on the Zappi's single phase feed, and subsequently (or in realtime) display it as a graph, current v time.

I've seen a few full blown oscilloscope/multimeter/loggers costing up into the multiple hundreds of pounds and beyond but really I don't want to spend so much on a device I'll probably only use once. Is there something cheap that would maybe connect to a laptop or phone over WiFi / USB? I'm thinking of a sub £50 budget.

Accuracy probably isn't a paramount concern. Just something that can give me a good clear visual window into what's happening over the course of a few seconds, with the current flow?

In an ideal world a box with a CT clamp on a flying lead, and a big LCD with a continually updated graph display of the last five seconds in 0.25 second samples would be perfect. But to keep cost down, data sent to a laptop that I could then homebrew a graph in python would be ok?
 

Harald Kapp

Moderator
Moderator
Nov 17, 2011
14,306
Joined
Nov 17, 2011
Messages
14,306
Something like this Tuya based meter?
Or this one if you are uncomfortable buying in China.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any information on the temporal resolution of these units.
 

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
4,986
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
4,986
A Mooshimeter will provide a Bluetooth wireless cell phone display. Just had a clamp-on AC current probe.
 

Harald Kapp

Moderator
Moderator
Nov 17, 2011
14,306
Joined
Nov 17, 2011
Messages
14,306
When you follow the sales links from the Mooshimeter website itr looks like it is discontinued. Possibly available used on one of the intenet platforms of your choice. As shown in the ads the original doesn't come with an AC clamp, you'd have to supply that additionally.
 

baldguyfromblackpool

Dec 18, 2025
29
Joined
Dec 18, 2025
Messages
29
Whilst away from the thread I ordered something called a PZEM-004T that sends data out to a com port, planning to read it on a laptop with python.. not sure how fine-grained that will be either. ChatGPT thinks you can poll it about 5–10 times per second (100–200 ms intervals) without issue. I'll order a Tuya one too & see what it's capable of. Thanks
 
Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Moderator
Moderator
Nov 17, 2011
14,306
Joined
Nov 17, 2011
Messages
14,306
I found some useful information and a datasheet for the PZEM-004T here. But even the datasheet doesn't state the sampling rate :(
 

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
4,986
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
4,986
When you follow the sales links from the Mooshimeter website itr looks like it is discontinued. Possibly available used on one of the intenet platforms of your choice. As shown in the ads the original doesn't come with an AC clamp, you'd have to supply that additionally.
I did a little online research. This was a two-man "garage shop" operation that began quite a few years ago in California. One of the two principals got "burned out" and quit. The remaining partner could not save the company. There are no more Mooshimeters being made and there probably never will be.

It was a nice concept, but for the price of one Mooshimeter one could buy two digital multimeters and use a cell phone camera to video record their screens. That gives you electrical isolation and a digital recording of results. Not computer-readable results, but that might not be necessary for simple troubleshooting. If it turns out that computer-readable numbers must be recorded, I am sure there is software that can translate the multimeter screen images into a CSV file that can be used for further numeric processing.

Of course none of this might be relevant to the OP's original question.
 

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
1,100
Joined
Feb 19, 2021
Messages
1,100
From ChatGPT, even some DIY approaches :

Any AC line V and I dataloggers for monitoring AC line transients ? Low cost.

Yes. There are inexpensive AC voltage/current loggers, but there is an important distinction:
  • Normal data loggers → record RMS voltage/current every second or so.
  • Power-quality/transient recorders → actually capture short-duration voltage spikes, sags, interruptions, etc.
If your objective is finding intermittent AC-line transients, I'd avoid the $20–$100 energy meters. They generally won't capture a 1–100 µs event.

Low-cost options worth considering​


TRIPLETT ACDL200 Dual-Input AC Voltage/Current Datalogger
$299.95•Dual-input logger for AC voltage/current, compact design.

REED R5003 Dual-Input AC Voltage/Current Datalogger
$350.99•High-capacity AC voltage/current datalogger, suitable for heavy-duty use.

TRIPLETT ACDL100 AC Voltage/Current Datalogger
$238.06•Affordable dual-input AC voltage/current logger with RMS measurement.

Extech DL160 AC Voltage/Current Datalogger
$449.00•Premium AC voltage/current datalogger with advanced features.


Give feedback
Triplett ACDL200 is probably the one I'd investigate first if you want inexpensive voltage + current logging. It's around $300 and records up to 131,000 measurements with both inputs. But it is fundamentally a TRMS logger, not a high-speed transient recorder.
The inexpensive meters around $15–$50 can measure things such as voltage, current, watts, PF and kWh, but I would not trust them to catch a transient. For example, the inexpensive AC energy-meter modules are designed for energy monitoring rather than waveform capture.

If you specifically want transients​

This is where things get more interesting.
The PowerSight PS4500, for example, explicitly captures fast transients down to about 8 µs, in addition to recording RMS voltage/current.
That's much closer to what I think you're describing.
But there's another possibility that may be much more interesting for you:

Build a very inexpensive transient logger​

Since you're comfortable with ESP32/electronics, I would seriously consider building one.
For example:
120 VAC → isolated voltage transformer → attenuator → ADC
and
AC line current → CT → burden resistor → ADC
Then have an ESP32 continuously sample both channels at perhaps 20–100 kS/s, maintaining a circular buffer.
When voltage exceeds a programmable threshold, save:
  • 1–2 cycles before the event
  • the complete transient
  • 5–20 cycles afterward
  • peak voltage
  • RMS voltage
  • current
  • timestamp
That would let you distinguish things like:
  • motor switching spikes
  • compressor startup
  • utility switching
  • voltage sags
  • generator switching
  • lightning-induced disturbances
  • brief interruptions
  • load-induced voltage dips
And the hardware could potentially be well under $100.
One particularly useful approach would be to have two separate recording rates:
Slow channel: 1 sample/sec or 10 samples/sec for days/weeks
Fast channel: 50–200 kS/s, triggered only when something abnormal occurs.
That gives you long-term logging and transient capture without filling the memory.
For comparison, professional equipment gets expensive very quickly: the Fluke 1750, for example, uses 5-MHz waveform capture for short events.
If you tell me 120 V single-phase, 240 V, or both, and approximately how much current (15 A, 30 A, 100 A, etc.), I can find you the cheapest commercial logger that actually has a reasonable chance of catching the transients you're interested in.



single phase, 120

For 120 V single-phase, there are some options, but if your primary objective is catching line transients, I'd narrow the field considerably.

Best low-cost commercial choices​


Triplett ACDL200 Dual-Input AC Voltage/Current Datalogger
$299.95•Dual-input logger for AC voltage and current monitoring.

Triplett ACDL100 AC Voltage/Current Datalogger
$329.99•Compact device for true RMS AC voltage and current logging.

Triplett ACDL100 True RMS AC Voltage/Current Datalogger
$120.99•Affordable RMS AC voltage/current datalogger for electrical testing.
Give feedback
The Triplett ACDL200 is interesting because it can log both voltage and current simultaneously. However, it is primarily a True-RMS data logger, not a high-speed transient recorder.
For comparison, the AEMC PQL 120 is specifically designed for a 120-V receptacle and samples at 128 samples/cycle (about 7.68 kS/s at 60 Hz), with automatic capture of worst-case surge/sag waveforms. It records voltage and current as well as power-quality parameters.
That's much more appropriate for your application, but it is around $895, so it isn't really "low cost."

An interesting $450 alternative​

The Powertronics PQR D50 is considerably cheaper than the AEMC. It is specifically a 120/240-V voltage disturbance recorder and records:
  • spikes
  • sags
  • surges
  • dropouts
  • power failures
  • high-frequency noise
  • common-mode noise
  • frequency
It stores up to 32,000 disturbances and also logs one-minute averages for up to 22 days. Current isn't measured, though.

But I think there's a better solution for you​

Given your electronics background, I'd seriously consider a small DIY transient recorder rather than spending $400–900.
For 120 VAC, I'd make it:
AC line
→ isolated 120-V-to-low-voltage transformer
→ precision rectifier/attenuator
→ ADC
and:
Line current
→ split-core CT
→ burden resistor
→ ADC
Then use an ESP32-S3 to continuously sample both.
I'd target something like:
10–20 kS/s minimum, preferably 50–100 kS/s
with a circular buffer containing perhaps 1 second of data.
When the voltage exceeds, say, 135 V peak/RMS threshold, the ESP32 saves:
500 ms before event + 1–2 seconds after event
to an SD card.
That would let you actually look at the waveform of the disturbance rather than merely being told "a surge occurred."
For your application, I'd also make the trigger programmable for:
  • voltage > threshold
  • voltage < threshold
  • sudden ΔV
  • current > threshold
  • simultaneous voltage sag + current increase
  • loss of AC
  • excessive HF noise
And importantly, don't connect the ESP32 ADC directly to the AC line. Use an appropriately rated isolation transformer or certified isolated voltage sensor and proper fusing/enclosure.
If you want, I can look specifically for an inexpensive <$100 120-V transient recorder/module that already has an isolated AC input, rather than a normal RMS logger. That may be the sweet spot.



Any Arduino projects out there that might serve

Yes. There are several Arduino/ESP32 projects that are quite close to what you're looking for. The key is to distinguish power/energy monitoring from actual transient capture.

The most interesting one I found​

ESP32 Power Meter — high-frequency waveform recording
This one is particularly relevant. The project specifically says its objective is to record high-frequency voltage and current waveforms, rather than just calculate RMS voltage/current. It evolved from ESP8266 hardware to an ESP32 design with local storage and an RTC.
This is much closer to what you want.
You could adapt it for:
  • 120 VAC
  • 60 Hz
  • voltage waveform
  • current waveform
  • continuous circular buffer
  • trigger on abnormal voltage
  • save waveform surrounding the event

Another good starting point​

ESP32 Smart AC Power Monitor
This uses an ESP32 + ZMPT101B voltage transformer + ACS712 current sensor and calculates RMS, peak, power, PF, frequency, crest factor, etc.
It's more of an energy/power monitor, but the underlying sampling code could be modified for transient recording.

OpenEnergyMonitor approach​

The OpenEnergyMonitor/EmonLib ecosystem is another good starting point. There are numerous Arduino/ESP32 implementations using:
  • ZMPT101B or small voltage transformer
  • SCT-013 current transformer
  • Arduino/ESP32 ADC
  • waveform sampling
  • RMS calculation
One ESP32 implementation I found specifically provides voltage and current waveform measurement and calibration using ZMPT101B + CT sensors.
However, I wouldn't use EmonLib as the final transient-capture engine. It's optimized for calculating power quantities, not preserving short disturbances.

What I'd build for your particular purpose​

Since you have ESP32-S3 hardware experience, I'd actually make a very simple dedicated instrument:

120 VAC
│
┌──────┴──────┐
│ │
Voltage PT Load wire
│ │
│ Current CT
│ │
▼ ▼
Anti-alias Burden amp
filter │
│ │
└──────┬──────┘
│
External ADC
│
ESP32-S3
│
┌─────┴─────┐
│ │
RAM SD
ring buffer storage

I would not use the ESP32 ADC if the objective is serious transient measurement. An inexpensive external ADC would give you considerably better control over sampling and simultaneous voltage/current measurements.

Sampling rate​

For your application I'd start around:
25–50 ksamples/sec/channel
That is enough to see disturbances that are completely invisible to ordinary energy monitors.
For example, at 50 kS/s:
  • 60-Hz waveform → ~833 samples/cycle
  • 1 ms event → ~50 samples
  • 100 µs event → ~5 samples
If you want to investigate very fast switching spikes, I'd go to 200 kS/s or higher.

The really useful feature: pre-trigger capture​

I'd make the ESP32 continuously record into a circular RAM buffer:

trigger occurs
↓
... PRE-TRIGGER ...|... POST-TRIGGER ...
↑
event

For example:
500 ms before + 1 second after
When voltage exceeds a programmable threshold, the ESP32 freezes the buffer and writes the event to the SD card.
The file could contain:

Time
Voltage
Current

Then you could import it directly into Excel, Python, MATLAB, etc.
You could trigger on:
  • V > 130 V
  • V < 105 V
  • sudden dV/dt
  • current > X amps
  • voltage spike
  • voltage dropout
  • loss of zero crossing
That would be far more useful for troubleshooting your house wiring/equipment than a conventional $300 RMS logger.
One project I found particularly interesting is the ESP32 power meter above because its stated design goal is specifically high-frequency voltage/current waveform recording.
If you want, I can go one step further and find Arduino/ESP32 projects that actually capture and save AC waveforms to an SD card, preferably ones using an isolated 120-V input and an inexpensive external ADC. That would get us very close to a DIY $50–$100 transient recorder.
 

bidrohini

Feb 1, 2023
219
Joined
Feb 1, 2023
Messages
219
Since you’ve already ordered the PZEM-004T, I’d first check its actual measurement update time. Polling it every 100 ms doesn’t necessarily give you a fresh measurement every 100 ms; you could be reading the same internally averaged result several times. I wouldn’t rely on the quoted 5–10 Hz figure without verifying that distinction.

For your Python logger, I’d save timestamps, voltage and current together. The lights dimming suggests a voltage dip, so current alone may leave you missing an important part of the event. Also, a brief dip can disappear into an averaged reading even when the graph updates quickly.

If the PZEM proves too slow and you decide to build something, this Home Energy Monitoring System is a relevant hardware reference. It uses an SCT-013 current transformer, an AC-to-AC adapter and Arduino/ESP8266 hardware, with links to the code and EmonLib. You’d need to adapt and verify the acquisition and logging timing for your application; the project doesn’t establish that it can capture the brief event you’re chasing.

One practical catch: the PZEM still requires a mains voltage connection despite using a CT. Its low-voltage interface supply alone doesn’t power the measurement circuitry, as the PZEM library documentation explains. Have the mains connections and access to the charger’s individual conductors handled by an electrician.

Given that lights throughout the house are affected, I’d also
 
Top