What to study for a semiconductor testing course admission test?

rainyliveshere

Jul 4, 2026
35
Joined
Jul 4, 2026
Messages
35
Just the day before yesterday, I came to know something. A government funded, free course on Semiconductor testing will start from this month in Dhaka. This is for EEE and ECE graduates. 7th September is the application deadline. At first, they will select candidates from the applicants. Selected candidates will sit for an exam and a viva on 9th September. I think it will be foolish to apply now and aim for an admission. I studied Semiconductor and VLSI at my university. Ever since I graduated in 2009, I barely touched the semiconductor or VLSI book as far as I remember. I have no idea what to expect in such an exam. I don't know if there will be another batch next time but I wish to keep an eye on this initiative. Can anybody here give me an idea what kind of questions are expected in a semiconductor testing course admission test? What should I study if I want to prepare myself for such an admission test?
 

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
1,100
Joined
Feb 19, 2021
Messages
1,100
I was fortunate to start my career as a production engineer then went on to testing,
writing and debugging code on several different test machines over the time I held that
job. That however was 50+ years ago so not much use here.

Interview I did was how extensive, breadth, of types of parts did I use or have
knowledge of, like in my work or hobbies. Again a clue needed are goals of
interviewers focused on a specific product area or broad based semi parts.
Are they seeking candidates to place in semi companies or just doing educational
work.

Generally testing focuses on confirming datasheet specs. If testing for production
parts, and gathering big data on runs of parts for yield analysis. If characterizing
parts to create the datasheet approach somewhat different is used. Part test
time is generally a key goal, time is money.

Test equipment suppliers can be helpful, their sales people. They would probably
know who went thru this process.....another clue.....

Your question difficult because you do not know what the test folks are trying to
screen to. In that case I would consider detective work, finding out who runs the test
program and picking up a phone and calling them. The fact you want to study for the
test, a good sign, at least I would think a tester would interpret the call that way, and
be helpful with at least clues as to what focus is. Also are testers doing recurring
events, such that if you could find engineers that went thru process....

Are there local groups of semi guys in your area, like Facebook or other forums, where
you could post the question. Basically attack the problem from multiple approaches.

As an aside not unusual test equipment companies have training videos packed with
use/application knowledge.....

Good luck, regards, Dana.
 
Last edited:

rainyliveshere

Jul 4, 2026
35
Joined
Jul 4, 2026
Messages
35
I only have experience in testing AVR microcontrollers, PIC microcontrollers and Arduino boards using AVR programmer, PICkit2 and Arduino IDE respectively. I know about basic transistor test, checking diode, resistor, capacitor values with multimeter. I was afraid that it wasn't enough to sit for the exam. This is why I did not apply.
 

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
1,100
Joined
Feb 19, 2021
Messages
1,100
Always take the test, you gain if you fail, you get to see what the focus is.
 
Top