How to connect two sirens

S

SixDoubleO

Jan 1, 1970
0
I have a DSC 832 and two sirens. A DSC SD15W (inside siren) and a DSC
SD30W (outside siren). Can I connect these in series to the bell
outputs? Based on the power output of the DSC 832, it should be able to
power the two of em. Just wondering if I'd throw off the impedance for
supervision by putting them in series. If I put them in parallel, it
seems I'd lose supervision.

Suggestions?
 
G

G. Morgan

Jan 1, 1970
0
alt.security.alarms
If I put them in parallel, it
seems I'd lose supervision.

Only if you home-ran both wires to the control. Run one wire to the
first siren, then run a wire from siren one to siren two, put the EOL
at siren two.


-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
 
S

SixDoubleO

Jan 1, 1970
0
I currently don't use an EOL on my bell circuit. I think just the
impedance of the siren itself provides the needed resistance.

So you are saying to wire the two sirens in parallel, with a EOL between
the + and - of the last siren? Do I need to do anything to the panel
programming to tell it I have an EOL?
 
J

Jim Rojas

Jan 1, 1970
0
Some sirens actually will create a "low wail" feedback noise, then you would
have to use the EOL to eliminate the feedback.

Jim Rojas
 
G

G. Morgan

Jan 1, 1970
0
alt.security.alarms
I currently don't use an EOL on my bell circuit. I think just the
impedance of the siren itself provides the needed resistance.

You're right. I just re-read the manual. The 1K resistor is only
used if no devices are connected to the bell output.
So you are saying to wire the two sirens in parallel, with a EOL between
the + and - of the last siren? Do I need to do anything to the panel
programming to tell it I have an EOL?

I see what you mean now. :)

NO- disregard what I wrote earlier.

In order to supervise both, they would indeed have to be in series.

Most panels DO require a resistor at the EOL, but the 5015 apparently
uses the impedance of the sirens. Sorry for the confusion, DSC panels
are not my specialty.

I am wondering now though..... what is the current range (low/high)
that is acceptable before the panel detects an open or short?

One more thing.. The bell output only supplies 700ma when the system
is running on back-up battery. You will exceed this with the SD30W
connected, it alone draws 1.1A.





-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
 
M

Mark Leuck

Jan 1, 1970
0
G. Morgan said:
alt.security.alarms


You're right. I just re-read the manual. The 1K resistor is only
used if no devices are connected to the bell output.

Wrong, the panel always sends voltage through the circuit to supervise it,
without the resistor you might get a low level siren sound
 
G

G. Morgan

Jan 1, 1970
0
alt.security.alarms




Wrong, the panel always sends voltage through the circuit to supervise it,

I knew that....
without the resistor you might get a low level siren sound

So that begs the question... What is the ideal impedance for the
circuit? And what are the lower and upper limits before it goes into
trouble?


-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
 
F

Frank Olson

Jan 1, 1970
0
G. Morgan said:
alt.security.alarms


In order to supervise both, they would indeed have to be in series.

Putting them in series won't be a problem. They're rated for 6 - 12 VDC.
You *will* maintain supervision of the total circuit if you do and if some
perp does short the wires (when he cuts them) at one siren, the other will
still surprise him...

Most panels DO require a resistor at the EOL, but the 5015 apparently
uses the impedance of the sirens. Sorry for the confusion, DSC panels
are not my specialty.

The sirens he's talking about have built-in DC drivers. "Impedance" doesn't
figure.

I am wondering now though..... what is the current range (low/high)
that is acceptable before the panel detects an open or short?

One more thing.. The bell output only supplies 700ma when the system
is running on back-up battery. You will exceed this with the SD30W
connected, it alone draws 1.1A.

The system's perfectly capable of supplying the necessary power for a
*short* time. You can draw up to 3 amps from the bell output for short
periods. Your battery has to be attached and in good shape. Check out page
6 of the manual and don't make me "bitch slap" you like I had to Bass. :))


--
Frank Olson
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com
Free listings for qualified dealers and industry professionals
You can read the ASA FAQ at
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com/asafaq.htm
 
D

Dave

Jan 1, 1970
0
For what it's worth....

When testing the system (ie, no siren.) I use 1000ohm resistor. The
system reports no trouble.

With ONLY the SD15W connected (and no EOL) the system reports no
trouble. Resistance across the SD15W (and 50ft of 18/2) is 1189ohm.

I'm going to try hooking the SD30W in series and see what the resistance
measures out to.

I'm surprised this isn't documented as an inside 15W/outside 30W is a
fairly common setup.
 
D

Dave

Jan 1, 1970
0
Thanks Frank. That somewhat confirms what my suspicion was. If I ever
get a 5204, I'll drive the SD30W off that. For now, I'll just run it
off the panel and deal with the possibility of a shorter yelp-session.

(stepping out of the way of bitch-slapping)
 
M

Mark Leuck

Jan 1, 1970
0
Frank Olson said:
Putting them in series won't be a problem. They're rated for 6 - 12 VDC.
You *will* maintain supervision of the total circuit if you do and if some
perp does short the wires (when he cuts them) at one siren, the other will
still surprise him...

Say again?
 
J

JW

Jan 1, 1970
0
I don't get it...why is everyone talking about impedance? Sirens work off a
12VDC input don't they?
 
M

mikey

Jan 1, 1970
0
12vdc sirens are just speakers with the driver built in. Some panels have
the drivers on the control board so you just use speakers. I think they mean
resistance in this thread. As long as there's some current flowing, I think
the supervisor is happy.
 
F

Frank Olson

Jan 1, 1970
0
Mark Leuck said:
message


Say again?

Series connection on two sirens. You short the leads to one and the other
will still function. If there's no direct short, the circuit will open and
the panel will go into "trouble".
 
A

alarman

Jan 1, 1970
0
JW wrote
I don't get it...why is everyone talking about impedance? Sirens work off a
12VDC input don't they?

Shhhh!!
Yes. Some are confusing sirens with speakers. It's comical to watch.
js
 
G

G. Morgan

Jan 1, 1970
0
alt.security.alarms
I think they mean
resistance in this thread.

Yes, impedance would apply to speakers where resistance would apply to
the siren driver. I got the two jumbled in another post.
As long as there's some current flowing, I think
the supervisor is happy.

Does anyone have a 5015 lying around to test? I'd be interested to
see the range of resistance the output likes. It could easily be
tested with a potentiometer.


-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
 
M

Mark Leuck

Jan 1, 1970
0
I do but you can't have it

Why wouldn't you just test a 5010 or 1555? Should be the same
 
G

G. Morgan

Jan 1, 1970
0
alt.security.alarms
I do but you can't have it


I didn't want it, I wanted you to do the test.



-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
 
M

Mark Leuck

Jan 1, 1970
0
I just did the test, its +/- 200 ohms, now please scroll to the bottom of
this reply



G. Morgan said:
alt.security.alarms



I didn't want it, I wanted you to do the test.



-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email









































I didn't really do the test
 
G

G. Morgan

Jan 1, 1970
0
alt.security.alarms
I didn't really do the test


I know you didn't. :)

If you had the appropriate answer would have been more like "lower
range {x} ohms and upper range {y} ohms".

Maybe someone kinder than you will do the test and report the results
for the good of ASA and mankind in general.


-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
 
Top