T
Tom Derham
- Jan 1, 1970
- 0
Despite having read a number of books on high speed circuit design, I am
still somewhat confused as to the recommended approach, so would appreciate
some advice.
I have several high speed (100MHz clock) digital (DSP, FPGA), mixed signal
(ADC, DDS) and pure analog microwave boards (PLL, microwave amplifiers at
2.4GHz).
I can choose whether or not to have split grounds on the mixed signal boards
as I am designing them. All boards are mounted in a metal chassis, but I
can choose whether or not to isolate the grounded mounting holes on the
boards to the chassis mountings.
I know that star grounding is ineffective at high frequencies due to the
inductance of the cables, yet generally single-point grounding is advocated
to prevent unpredictable current flow in the chassis. Generally it is
advised to have separate analog and digital ground planes and connect them
in only one location (the power supply).
But if I do this, and use the chassis just as the analog ground, and isolate
the digital ground completely except for one connection at the PSU, is it ok
to use star grounding for the digital ground between the boards?
Also if grounds are completely isolated on individual boards, then won't
that make the EMI radiation bad, because (for example) power traces on the
board that cross the boundary between the two grounds will have no direct
current return path, except via the power supply connection.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated
Tom
still somewhat confused as to the recommended approach, so would appreciate
some advice.
I have several high speed (100MHz clock) digital (DSP, FPGA), mixed signal
(ADC, DDS) and pure analog microwave boards (PLL, microwave amplifiers at
2.4GHz).
I can choose whether or not to have split grounds on the mixed signal boards
as I am designing them. All boards are mounted in a metal chassis, but I
can choose whether or not to isolate the grounded mounting holes on the
boards to the chassis mountings.
I know that star grounding is ineffective at high frequencies due to the
inductance of the cables, yet generally single-point grounding is advocated
to prevent unpredictable current flow in the chassis. Generally it is
advised to have separate analog and digital ground planes and connect them
in only one location (the power supply).
But if I do this, and use the chassis just as the analog ground, and isolate
the digital ground completely except for one connection at the PSU, is it ok
to use star grounding for the digital ground between the boards?
Also if grounds are completely isolated on individual boards, then won't
that make the EMI radiation bad, because (for example) power traces on the
board that cross the boundary between the two grounds will have no direct
current return path, except via the power supply connection.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated
Tom