Electronics-Lab.com Community

A Fishy Component

quantum

My guess is that this is the quartz crystal. Those are used in any generators since they provide high signal stability and acuracy (if the crystal is good though ;D). The remote control in this case would work on the fundamental frequency or on certain harmonic (in your case it's probably working on the fundamental one). This is the only thing I can think about that fits the description especially in radio control. ::)

I have another fishy component. It is extremly small. The home page of this website has a background graphic of a pcb at the top-right corner. There is a IC chip and right below and above to the right is a bunch of really small black squares. When I look at a pcb, it labels the small black square R** .The * stands for the number of the sqaure, just like a resistor. Sure, if I only knew how to copy a picture on to this reply, it would be much easier. If anyone knows how to do this, I would appreciate it. ;D

Hum, I don't think it's cap what you are looking at... I just don't picture cap marking with R ???.... looks as non-sence to me. However, SMD stands for Surface Mount Device, or in "english" ;D it means that there are no holes in the PCB in order for the element to be mounted, soldered....whatever you want it. This is why it's called Surface Mount - because it is mounted on the surface of the given layer. :)