Electronics-Lab.com Community

Newbie needs an advice!

hyaku_

Hello everybody!
I have some questions and I need an advice, I hope you will be able to help me! :)

I'm learning programming on Linux for about 1 year and programming in general for about 3 years. I like to program Internet Client/Server applications! I found them very interesting! For a while ago I found that I can program parallel port. Make it put 5v out to any of its 8 Data pins. I was so excised, but now I just plugged there Diodes and make them blink in random, but I want something more!!!

I want to create some interesting device that I could control over the internet, by now I can just connect to my computer and send command witch led to turn on ;D

I want to learn electronics, but since I'm learning programming and I have other hobbies too, I have very limited time! I want to learn electronics in advanced level, so I could control with computer my house lights and the most important ROBOTICS!!!

How long could it take to learn electronics, if I would learn every day, to get into Robotics!? I know that I could make very simple robot by plugging wheels and some diodes to parallel port and control it with program, but I want to make insect type of robot, that could walk by itself for example on 6 legs not drive!

About radio, its it true that it is very simple to make?

Question about programmable things!
I have seen a birth day cards, that when you open them, they start to play music! There is something that could be programmable and its cheap! What is it and how do you program it and can I make insect robot without this programmable thing?

Please give me some advice, I know only little about electronics:
Ohms law, what is resistor and transistor etc..
I want to get into Robotics! Where do I start? And your site has nice links to tutorials! And this forum is great!!! Thank you! ;D

Firstly, let me say that I admire your enthusiasm, as well as choice of Operating Systems.

Here are a couple of references that I consider very valuable for anyone wanting to learn about electronics:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hph.html
and
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/

Having been involved with the electronics field since 1968, allow me to point out that your personal success in learning what you want to know about electronics is heavily dependent upon your math skills, and your personal dedication in taking the time to learn the material fully.

Without taking shortcuts, it could take you a couple of years to learn the skills you need to achieve the goals you have stated, or it could take you quite a bit longer than 5 years.

I will mention that I was self-taught for my first 12 (or more) years of dealing with electronics. I learned more (and more completely) by taking university electrical engineering courses, and follow-up courses in applied electronics technology.

Start out by reading through the 6 books found at the second link, above (or at http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/ ), and consult with the academic institutions in your area to discover what courses they offer that can help you achieve your goals.

Best of luck to you.