Electronics-Lab.com Community

Led display Digital Voltmeter mod

cliffclavin

Hello!

I would like to monitor the voltage from a sensor. The sensor produces 0 to 10 volts. I would like the display to show the voltage in relation to a scale of 1 to 2000.

eg.
0v = 0
2.5v = 500
5v = 1000
7.5v = 1500
10v = 2000

The digital voltmeter project can be modified to measure a voltage range of 0 to 20 volts by replacing R3 with 120 Kohm 1% res.

(Voltmeter project link)

http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/test/014/index.html

Now if I took the voltage output ( 0 to 10v ) and put a voltage doubler there to make the sensor output 0 to 20v, and connected this to the input of the modified range voltmeter ( 0v to 20v),

Will the voltmeter display the range I want from the input voltage?

I guess I'd have to disconnect the decimal point LED in the display ( so 12.15v would read 1215 )

Will this do what I want?

Many thanks

ps. There is a long forum discussion about making the voltmeter

http://www.electronics-lab.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=119;start=1;boardseen=1

This posed a few questions that I couldn't find the answer for. However, it was a long read (10 pages) so could somebody who's built the voltmeter answer :

How stable is the device? Somebody said as the voltmeter 'warms' up, the volt reading changes. Is this true? By how much? Could someone who's built this explain a bit more?

Will the voltmeter (when modified to 0 to 20v range) read to 2 decimal points (eg. 12.51 v ) ?

thanks

Those who have the highest interest in that project probably have "notify" turned on which means they get an e-mail when a new post hits that area. Starting a new topic does not notify anyone in the original thread. This is why it is best to continue a topic rather than to start a new one about the same subject. You will get less replies here.

Since you know where it is, I suggest you go to the original topic and re-post your question there.

MP