Electronics-Lab.com Community

temp sensor

Ok, so I have a datalogger for the pc, to tune my car, it has an analog input that accepts 0-5v, what I want to do is connect multiple temp probes throughout my car setup, supercharger temps, intercooler outlet temps, etc.. though just connecting a thermistor to these inputs wont be enough, what would I need to build a signal converter that would provide my inputs with temps?

Your temperature sensor will have a chart of resistance vs degree C or F.
You will make a voltage divider circuit and calculate the voltage to the logger input from the divider for the various resistances and set a multiplier and offset to get a linear scale. Basically, the most common connection is to use a resistor from an excitation voltage to the input of the logger channel, and connect the temp sensor across the input to common on the logger input channel. As the temperature changes, the resistance from input to common increases or decreases, causing a change in the input voltage to the logger.
Note that the resistor added to you circuit must be a precision resistor such as a 0.1% tolerance or the error margin will kill any accuracy that you might otherwise get from the sensor.

This is the best explanation available without knowing the type of logger, how it can be set up and knowing more about the temp sensor you are using.

MP