Electronics-Lab.com Community

seven segment display

Hi all,

I am making a digital temperature gauge and had a few questions. I am using a thermister to detect the change in temperature. I know that it sences change in temperature, but how do I make the circuit realize this?

I'm not exactly sure how to go about this project. As of right now, I know I want to have 3 display panels (7 segment) show the temperature. I know how they are labeled and after some testing I have all of them working with the decimal point. I also know i need a driver/decoder chip for them to work. My display units are common cathode, so from what i've researched the 74LM48 is the driver i'm looking at. I have the datasheet for it, and know where to send my a-g to etc.

What I wasn't sure about, is I have 3 display panels, does this mean I need 3 of the 74LM48's? Something tells me that would be terribly inefficient, but how would more then one number be presented at once on 3 seperate displays if you only used one driver?? Does anyone have any suggestions or direction of where to go between my thermister and the driver/decoder??

Thank you,
EC

Most sensors are made to basically put out a voltage. What you are really making is a digital voltmeter. Yes, you will usually need a driver chip for each 7 segment display unless it is something like the 7107 which will feed multiple seven segment displays. You should look at the specific data sheet. You might want to take a look at the digital voltmeter projects in our projects section. There are a couple of them. This might help.

MP