Electronics-Lab.com Community

anyone got some ideas for me on these three problems Charger and monitor circuit

First I need a voltage divider I know that is two resistors but I’m a little unclear on how that would be wired to an adc
Second I need a circuit that can measure charging current based on an adc while it’s still isolated from the adc I can’t have the 1 amp going to the adc pin, but I can’t restrict the current flow to the charging cells.
Third I need to learn how I could switch what is coming in to an adc pin so I can measure 4 independent voltages with one pin. What I mean is the following let me see if I can make a small schematic with my keyboard

| +  cell one    - |+  cell two    -|+  Cell three  -|+  cell four  -|
        |                        |                      |                      |                  | 
        1                      2                    3                      4                5
well the thing it if I want to measure the individual cell voltages, how could I do that I mean they can’t have a common ground and still be wired in series for charging and output or can they? Anyone got a solution to this doozy  because quite frankly I’m at my wit’s end with this one. I mean series and parallel at the same time anyway I see it just adds up to one giant short circuit to me :s the only way I could see doing it is probing  one and two then 2 and 3 then 3 and 4 and the 4 and 5 in succession but the nightmare there is that I don’t have a common ground and I need to switch both the ground and the positive every probe time which means either micro relays which eat up lots of energy compared to transistor switches and add components I think
A. I would need transistors driving the relays to amplify the switch current from the PIC port B pins.
B. What I wanted to do is have two pins switch the adc cell probe pin like this. : both pin 1 and 2 high = cell one, pin 1 high and pin 2 low cell 2, pin 1 low and pin 2 high cell 3 and pin one and 2 low would equal cell four. But the more I think about that I see per switch state I would need either relay for both the positive and negative testing points or I would need to use both a pnp and an npn as switches this is turning out to be a nightmare anyone got a more elegant solution. I know I can use a transistor as a switch but this is also a problem since I need to switch both rails. Anyone got a solution for me here.
terramir

1-5 will be on another pin because that voltage will be measured constantly while the individual cells will only be measured during charging, and only as a spot check during discharge. discharging monitoring the main 1-5 is far more important and the cells then are only checked at certain levels ergo the total voltage will give an indication, during charging exceeding 4.2 on a individual cell is dangerous, during discharge if the total pack drops below 13.6 volts then it's time to measure the individual cells more often ;) because no cell should drop below 2.8V it could harm them! before once every few program cycles is fine.
the voltage divider is needed because most pic's can't exceed a 6V input it will be needed not for the individual cells but for the 1-5 bridge
Li-ion's are tricky things I also have to measure the output and input current input to determine when it's getting full and for safety output because it should not exceed 3C the a disconnect is very necessary there will also be a 3.2C hardwire fuse. In case the chip fails.
LI-ion's are easy to charge but if something goes wrong bang they vent with a flame. the open voltage should not exceed more that 1V above the packs capacity with mine 4.1V max cells that would be 17.4V that will be dragged down by the charging to 16.4 when the current proceeds to drop to 3% of C which in this case is 1050 mA ergo 31mA they are full at 70% of C the voltage should be 16.4 total 4.1 each but if there was an unequal charge that's where the trouble begins. if one cell is already full it will rise above the 4.1 V and start draining more current a disconnect is needed to prevent a flame burst(ergo explode).

as for that switch you are talking about can you give me some more details?
Thanks
terramir