Electronics-Lab.com Community

counter

kad

I'm plannig to do a project that includes counting the number of people entering and leaving the room through one door..For this i want to use 2 light beams simultaneously to count the number of people entering and leaving the room
Now if a person enters your room he will pass by beam 1 then beam 2, if he leaves it then he will pass through beam 2 then beam 1..
so when the person enters the room beam 1 gets obstructed and generates a pulse which is given to a counter thus the ppl entering is counted..
and when the person is leaving second beam is obstructed and is given to a different counter to count the no .of ppl leaving ...
But the problem is that when the first beam is obstructed the second beam should should be deactivated untill he crosses the second beam while leaving(as the second beam shouldn't count when the person is entering)
so can u suggest me some idea for deactivating the second beam only for few seconds...please help

Dear KAD

I think you can not do anything with beams! because any interrupt will cause the counter to count One.
You'd better to deactivate the counter circuit. for example if you have a TTL IC in counter citcuit, maybe you can deactivate it via CE(Chip Enable) Pin.

If you have not build the circuit yet, maybe It would be much more easier if you do the project using a MCU.

HTH - Shahriar