Electronics-Lab.com Community

Bridge Rectifier

Hello Everyone...
I am an electrical eng. student and i am currently taking my first course in electronics physics and circuit analysis... Our prof. recommended Neamens Electronic Circuit Analysis.. It is a very good book...
I am working on a bridge rectifier circuit for 220(AC) to 12(DC) voltage.. Can anyone please advice me or give me any tips in the circuit design in multisim elec. workbench or in the hardware design...

Thanks alot
Schnitzer

To get 12V rectified you will need a step down trasformer to get 12V AC and then you use full wave bridge rectifier (if your transformer does not have center tap) to get these 12VRMS to DC voltage. Keep in mind that the output will be the peak voltage of the secondary - 2 X Rectifier Diode voltage drops. You can achieve better efficiency if you use center tapped transformer and 2 diodes - in this case you will get DC value lower only with 1 diode voltage drop instead of 2. For most Si diodes the drop is about 0.7V if they are PN junction. For shotky Si the drop is about 0.5V. For Ge diodes it's about 0.3V. Hope this helps. :)