Electronics-Lab.com Community

pressure sensitive sensors and conductive rubber

nym

hey, i am glad to have found this site.

here is my situation. i use an mpc1000, akai's most sold midi production center. i am very close to this thing, and beta test an os that a third party coder has created.

my problem is the pads. not just my problem - it's the machine's one downfall. mpcs are known for their really good pads, but this was a different model and they tried something new - and it was...well, terrible.

the sensor is a rectangular spiral of two copper inlays (untouching). the sensor is triggered when a conductive material makes a bridge between the two inlays. the machine came with a square of thin black rubber, glued precariously above the sensor by one dot of silicon in each corner.

this rubber senses how hard you hit the pad and grows less resistive with pressure. you push it and you can watch the machine read more pressure - a little vertical bar displays the readout of your pressure. think "test your strength" hammer circus things, except w/ a pad and you just press with your finger.

i started to remodel these pads a while ago. first i tried gluing the rubber to a different part of the pad. this worked better, but just like the original method, it gave out.

then, i restructured the pad assembly completely. this setup more complements my playing style and is a more durable and tough setup. the only problem is, i need larger squares of this rubber stuff.

so, i ordered this: http://www.rfmicrolink.com/Pressure_activated_Conductive_rubber.html

after a long wait, it arrived. unfortunately, it wasn't what i was looking for. the original rubber had a much smoother curve--you could apply a little pressure and see it readout low, and then gradually increase as you applied pressure.

with this new stuff, you had to really give it hell and then finally it'd make a connection - but it'd be a sudden and full connection, all the way up to full with barely any in between.

so i'm left at this: i need this elusive rubber. does anyone have any idea of what i can do? please help me.

www.excommence.com
some tunes if you're interested at all, some quirky instrumental hip hop.

thank you
nym

tekscan flexiforce and interlink FSRs are what are used in older models of the mpcs. i don't know for sure if they could be put into the current setup. as i'm informed the current model has a scanning method where two analog scanning gadgets scan the voltage from 8 pads (each). older models, i believe, scanned each pad separately.

i've considered using tekscan or interlink fsrs, but given the fact that the actual underlying technology beyond just the sensors is that much different, i'd rather not dump 8 bones per pad into my machine when the result wouldn't necessarily be worth the money.

however, when the machine's pads function at their expected level, i am happy w/ em - 8 pad scan or no. that's why i want to maximize the existing setup rather than put in whole new sensors.