Electronics-Lab.com Community

LCD panel that can be see through

I'm looking for a LCD panel that I can put my own light behind and when on, it completely blocks all light (Drive to Black).  I control which pixels turn off and with my own halogen light behind it (I need a very bright light) can simulate automobile headlights.

The idea is; A glare tester for people who had refractive surgery.  By looking through optics the LCD would look close up and I can simulate head lights moving towards the viewer.  A second superimposed image on another screen will have a reading test.

Does anyone know what company has a LCD panel that I can put a light behind as well as will completely block light with all pixels on, or if anyone knows how I can take apart an LCD and do this myself that is great too.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

All LCD panels allow light through when they are in the off state. The shinny part you see inside is either a reflector (only reflects light) or a transflector (both reflects and still allows some light, transmissive).

The real problem is getting the LCD to completely block the light, and to be able to write to all the segments or pixels.

Talk to Sharp or one of the other LCD manufacturers and they can help.