Electronics-Lab.com Community

locator help

i am in need for a nice, easy way to find people in a small building, but all they should have to wear is a small device that sends a small "im here and i'm person number 13" signal, and using some receivers of some sort using triangulation to find where each locator is from this signal.

my target number of users is from about 60 people to track, and to have an accuracy of about 3 is feet, and time resolution of about 15 seconds. anyone here have any good ideas that can help me? is it hopeless and i need GPS receivers on each person that also send data to receivers?

yes, it does plan on having wifi, why? does wifi have some sort of tracking mechanism i am very likely not familiar with?

[EDIT]
who: me and the people in the robotics team at my school (FIRST robotics, should look into it ;))
why: when we do our monthly fund raising shindig, we want to have a main screen so that people coming in can see where the VIP's are (mostly for show) so that we can say: "we have some really complicated stuff here, not just making simple RC cars with arms"

for GPS, we have one in our laptop, and it gets good signal, although this might just be that it uses a good antena

I can bring you in contact with an IT services company that amongst others, do location tracking based on WiFi mesh networks and watch-like wearable units. They originally developed the system for security personnel in open-air events. Interested?

Edit: I see this is not for a professional application so I am not sure if this is the way to go about it. Still, let me know if you would be interested in them putting together a demonstration system for you guys. Unfortunately I am not aware of any way of doing what you need from the top of my head.

• 2 weeks later...