Electronics-Lab.com Community

Re: Power Supply for stepper motors for CNC - from a noob!

I am relatively new to Stepper Motors myself, but depending upon how many motors you are planning to drive (my CNC router has 3 motors), you will need a power supply that can supply more than needed.
I recently built a 24 volt 10 amp supply using a design from the Elektor magazine. It has proved to be exactly what I needed. Its a switched mode supply with about 85% efficiency, so it basically only takes what it needs from the mains....
The design was originally for a HiFi system, so it is very stable indeed, probably better than any stepper motor needs!!
The output voltage is programmable with 4 resistors to any output voltage up to 40 volts.....it uses a toroidal transformer, so it also radiates very little energy to interfere with any other electronics....
The PCB is also available still from Elektor's European Supplier and probably whoever supplies them in the USA, or you could make your own.
Use the data sheets for the chip used to calculate the required "program" resistors for the voltage you require.....as the supply is programed for 17 volts in the article....
If you need any assistance, just ask me and I will do my best for you or anyone else, but its mostly self explanatory.......
Best wishes
der fisherman

e033054.pdf

1074fd.pdf