BL motor tool

Gherman

Apr 11, 2025
2
Joined
Apr 11, 2025
Messages
2
So I did a opsie and after getting a second hand impact wrench disassembled it to clean it and to have a look inside (as you do) after that when I put it back together noticed a grinding noise (the tool is basically brand new 2024 and it's sounded fine when I got it) after disassembling it again and outing it back together checking everything 12 times same noise I'm positive its not the bearings 85% sure I assembled it right the only thing that croses my mind is some kind of calibration to the motor that I must have thrown off I'm not really sure I'm not that familiar with brushless motors

How would I repair this?

Links to videos of the carnage:
 

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
2,993
Joined
Jul 29, 2020
Messages
2,993
Welcome to Maker Pro. :) I don’t watch videos; make, model number, of your unit, please.
 

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
5,314
Joined
May 12, 2015
Messages
5,314
No calibration needed for the motor.
Something has been put together wrong. Here’s a couple of ideas/reasons:
Motor not seated in clam shell properly.
Gearbox not seated properly.
Bearing/s not seated properly.
Forward/reverse lever not in slot on trigger.

The clam shell has various protrusions that allow for a shim behind and bearing in front, make sure they are correct. Also, does the motor have any position where it fits the shell better? ie by rotating the motor a little in the shell.
Finally, check that no debris got onto the pinion shaft and gear meshing. And that no debris got into the motor itself.
 

Gherman

Apr 11, 2025
2
Joined
Apr 11, 2025
Messages
2
No calibration needed for the motor.
Something has been put together wrong. Here’s a couple of ideas/reasons:
Motor not seated in clam shell properly.
Gearbox not seated properly.
Bearing/s not seated properly.
Forward/reverse lever not in slot on trigger.

The clam shell has various protrusions that allow for a shim behind and bearing in front, make sure they are correct. Also, does the motor have any position where it fits the shell better? ie by rotating the motor a little in the shell.
Finally, check that no debris got onto the pinion shaft and gear meshing. And that no debris got into the motor itself.
I should have updated it but now the front panel (lights speeds and modes) isn't working properly and I'm thinking i stressed a wire or a connector or messed up the logic.
 

Russelltill

Sep 20, 2026
2
Joined
Sep 20, 2026
Messages
2
There shouldn’t be any calibration needed for a brushless motor after reassembly. A grinding noise is more likely something being misaligned or not fully seated, such as the motor in the housing, gearbox, shims, or bearings. I’d also check the pinion and gear mesh carefully for debris or damage, and make sure the motor sits correctly in the shell with no side load on the shaft. Since it was quiet before disassembly, I’d focus on mechanical alignment and seating rather than the motor electronics.
 

Russelltill

Sep 20, 2026
2
Joined
Sep 20, 2026
Messages
2
There shouldn’t be any calibration needed for a brushless motor after reassembly. A grinding noise is more likely something being misaligned or not fully seated, such as the motor in the housing, gearbox, shims, or Mud pump bearings. I’d also check the pinion and gear mesh carefully for debris or damage, and make sure the motor sits correctly in the shell with no side load on the shaft. Since it was quiet before disassembly, I’d focus on mechanical alignment and seating rather than the motor electronics.
If it was quiet before disassembly, I’d look at the mechanical side first. I’d check that the motor and gearbox are fully seated, inspect the gears and shims for anything out of place, and make sure the bearings are properly seated and not putting any side load on the shaft. A small alignment issue could easily cause that grinding noise.
 
Top