Electronics-Lab.com Community

Digital Readout

I have two questions in this area of digital readouts:

1) Is there a project here that uses old pc mice parts to create the signals for a DRO?

I have noticed that HP printers have a marked tape behind the print head. It uses an optical device in conjuction with this, I guess for location, so secondly:

2) Could this be used to create signals for a DRO?

I know I will be limited by the length of the tape for reading purposes, but my mill that I am building is small. Being my first one I want to try and test it all before moving up to a bigger unit. I hope to use the first unit to build the next. Since it will help me cut a straight line and make a hole perpendicular or parallel to that line the second machine should be better. I have the mechanical ability to design and build just not the ability to do it square or straight. I hope this first project will correct my inaccuracies and help me learn more about the electronics of it all. So next time I can build that better "mouse trap".

Hi RD,
You have a good idea that is just the beginning of having computerized cutting and drilling. Just use an HP printer to carry a laser cutter wherever you want!

You can use the tape and optics to drive an electronic counter with display, similar to a pedometer (walking steps counter). Search for a circuit in Google.
Maybe you could use your own belt that turns the optical wheel from a PC mouse.

Audioguru

Funny you should say that I am using lots of the parts from the printers for the unit including the stepper motors, slides, slider rods, and other pieces. I did leave the laser alone though, from the laserjet since I tought it wouldnt be powerful enough. ;D
I will look for the circuit and see what I can come up with. I do have a few mice I could use and see if I could gear drive the wheel but the problem I have is the actual circuit for that. I would want this to send the signals straight to a readout and not into my controller (computer). I have seen articles on this before but no where near what I would need to be able to follow it.
In the mean time I will look for the other circuit and see what I can come up with........