Electronics-Lab.com Community

How to get a CLOCK from a Crystal Oscillator

masterleous

Hi all,

I want to know the procedure to get a clock from a crystal oscillator. if we want to use 1 MHz to 30 MHz crystal with necessary circuit. than how will we get it?

Secondly if i want some Clock Frequancies like 1 KHz to 200 KHz and i have a 1 MHz Crstal, than is their is any method to produce my require clock frequiency from that 1 MHz crystal ??????

I want to use these clock for inputting to digital ICs.

Thanks In ADVANCE

Hi Master,
A crystal oscillator is very accurate and stable. Their simple circuit is all over the web and available from crystal manufacturers.

A digital frequency divider circuit is used to reduce the frequency of a "master" crystal clock oscillator.
The MM5369 was an IC that used a cheap but accurate 3.58MHz US colour TV crystal and produced an output of exactly 50Hz or 60Hz. I guess nobody makes their own clock anymore so they stopped making it. You can make your own with a CD4060 IC. It has a crystal oscillator circuit and a binary divider circuit. It can use a 1MHz crystal and produce binary divisions of 1MHz down to a little higher than 61Hz. Binary dividers divide by 2 and end-up with odd numbers but decade dividers are also available for dividing a frequency by ten's.
You could also use a microcontroller IC which has its own crystal oscillator and program it to produce any accurate frequency you want.