Electronics-Lab.com Community

Problem with CNC skipping steps

mcmmachine

Hi everyone,  I am having a problem that I am trying to find a answer to.
I have a 3 axis cnc router that I put all the electronics into and it has a bad habit of skipping steps every once in a while.
It uses a pc with "CNC Controller" sofware and interface board, 10 amp Microkinetics driver boards and 2 - 6 amp steppers and 1- 10 amp stepper to drive the XYZ axis.
When I set the maximum steps per second up per the manufacturers testing procedure (ie - increase steps until skipping occurs then reduce to 70% of that value for a safety buffer) it will run fine for dozens of sheets of parts then just skip a step out of the blue.  I reduce the maimum step rate and the same thing happens again later on.
(A sheet of parts is 645 identical rectangular pieces with radius edges)
Over the last 6 months I have put ever larger drivers and stepper motors on the machine with virtually no difference in the problem.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dean

Skipping is usually caused by load on the motors. Slowing down the speed usually helps. If I understand you correctly, you have slwoed the speed a couple of times to a lower speed and still have the skipping after a period of time. With this symptom, I would look for a reason that the motors would bind after a period of time and cause a heavier load. For example, are the lead screws movong freely after a while?
The other thing to look for is how hot the motors are getting. If the problem is due to heat, you need to look closely at the ratings of the motors and determine if you have a high enough torque motor or if you do not have the correct voltage or current rating for the motors.
There might be other reasons as well, but I do not know anything about your setup and I cannot comment further than this.

MP