Electronics-Lab.com Community

MIDI synth (binary logic and basic electronics)

Hello there...
I'm new to this forum and new to electronics...

Normally I spend my time making music, and at school we study a bit of electronics and binary logic with NAND and NOR gates and stuff...

When I discovered MIDI was a basic binary signal I thought, ok, I want to make my own synth then... So I pretty much know how to do all the work exept one thing, converting a voltage, an amperage or a wattage (whatever seems simpler to you) into a frequency... If I could find or if somebody knows a simple circuit that could give me a variable frequency that I can control (from about 130 hz to 989hz) then I'd be a happy dude (I can do with sine, square, triangle or sawtooth waveshapes)...

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me, I'll post the synth's schematics in here once I'm done so any other electro musicians can have fun building it too...

Hi Dude,
Welcome to our forum. ;D
There is a good function generator in our Projects Section. It produces sine, square and triangle waveforms over a wide frequency range. It can be modified as per the 8038's datasheet for sweep frequencies and a sawtooth wavwform. Its obsolete LF351 opamp can be replaced with a TL071CP opamp. The project is here:
http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/test/009/index.html