Electronics-Lab.com Community

12V / 5A Transistor Switch

Recently I had to use some 12V electrical clutches that draw about 4A continuosly under operation. I wondered if I can make a simple 1 transistor switch that can take this whole load? I was thinking of common collector configuration with zener stabilizator in the base. I do not care of any ripple since it is just a clutch so let it get as much noise as it wants

Hi Kain,

I would be careful with the ripple as this can make the clutch slip under heavy load!
Yes you can make a one transistor switch for this but more info is needed to give good advice.
If you have common ground for 12 and 110Volts is interesting to know for one.

Hi Kain,

Ok, sorry if I was a bit drastic there but the idea was not feasible as I see it.
I think you need a transformer or a clutch made for 120Volts, those are the two possible ways. A more complicated way is to use PWM, it is done in some contactor circuits where 24V contactors are run from 80V. Maybe there are more ways, anybody?

Yes, initially I thought about transformer, but then I decided to make it more challenging. Oh well, I guess it's too much of a headache. Right now i was just thinking about Phase Power Regulation. Since the sine wave is cut of at certain point, can't I just cut it at 12V and then rectify the 12VAC so I can get my 12VDC?

I don't see why this is hard, just use a transformer to step down 110VAC to 12AC then use a bridge rectifier to give you pulsed DC and power the clutch from that. To alter the power level just use a phase controller on the mains side (a normal lamp dimmer from a DIY store) or use PWM on the DC side.

Hi,

I don’t know if you need this, but it’s a good idea to add a smoothing capacitor in parallel to the output of the rectifier. Something like 200V 2200uF. TAKE CARE ABOUT POLARITY.

Why don’t you use a transformer? It’s safer and more efficient than a resistor.

Also, what’s an electronic clutch?

Bye!  ;D

No smoothing capacitor is required for a clutch.

And electroic clutch is a normal cluctch that's controlledelectronically.

Kain a transfromer is the best way to do this, 60W torroidial transformers aren't that big, one of these with a phase control dimmer is your best bet.