Electronics-Lab.com Community

Lissajou patterns

Cubik

Hi!

I am having problems with displaying Lissajou patterns (for educational purpose) with a Tektronix 2246 and I need some help.
I have one and only one function generator set to display sinusoidal signal. I put a T BNC connector on the output plug of the generator on plug to 50 ohms BNC to it and I have connected the 2 ends to the scope on CH1 and Ch2.
I have inverted the CH3 to have the exact same signal and frequency inverted. I have changed the mode to XY and I am getting 2 diagonals lines (like this <).
From there I cannot get any Lissajou figures. I have tried to change to different mode, different type of current and different everything but nothing works.
I would really appreciate a little help from confirmed technician which I am obviously not...
Thank you.

A 'scope shows a Lissajou pattern when it is set to XY mode and two different frequencies are a multiple of one from the other.
You can have a 2nd frequency from a low voltage mains transformer. It makes 50Hz or 60Hz and your function generator makes 100Hz, 150Hz, 200Hz, or 120Hz, 180Hz, 240Hz  etc. ;D