Electronics-Lab.com Community

grade 9-10 electronics

barth1010

Guest 1st Mil-Tech

When I was in 7th grade we made an electric motor using a lantern battery.
Made our own armature with a flat bar pieces of iron and wound our own coils and brushes etc.

Another was to make a crystal radio.

Could also start with a voltage detector light.

Then make a continuity tester using a L.E.D. resistor, a pen (using the case for holding one of the probes and L.E.D.) and a couple of pen light batteries. insulate wire and an alligator clip.

• 1 month later...

I think electronics has come a long way since then. Courses such as these are a one-size-fits-all. By the 9th or 10th grade, I usually see students who have an area of interest. I have taught 10th grade students how to write their own Visual Basic programs to control motors and appliances from their PCs, complete with building the interface. Asking them to build a crystal radio would have been an insult. For the quickest advancement it is best to focus on one's particular area of interest and move up from there. The first step is determining that area of interest. This is what makes it hard to answer such questions of "What project should I make to learn?" One should first post their area of interests to see if others have ideas that will help them get going in this area.

MP