Electronics-Lab.com Community

Stripboard + Acetone

autir

After reading some articles here regarding cleaning stripboards and PCBs after the soldering process, I went to a nearby paints store and asked for isopropyl alcohol or acetone. They only had acetone, of which the smallest container was a 1-liter metal vial. I bought one for 2.60 Euros. When I asked for small plastic bottles in order to use it in drops, the saleswoman replied that the acetone would dissolve the bottles rapidly. She added that this acetone was nothing like the ones used for nail polish removal. ALARM BELLS  >:( . After returning home I studied the label on the container and it described all these nice things that can happen to my skin, eyes and lungs. Reading about acetone's chemical properties  in the Web only made matters worse. So:

1) Have I bought the right type of acetone?

2) HOW ON EARTH am I going to use this... bomb in order to clear the flux remains on my solders and my stripboards/PCBs?

Thank you.

Hi Autir,
Acetone is nasty, deadly stuff. Why use it?
Isopropyl alcohol is full of or absorbs water, doesn't it? Keep away from it.
I have used ordinary rosin-core solder for more than 40 years and have never removed flux residue from my very many projects. Many of my projects use high impedance inputs with 22M resistors and flux has never caused a problem.

My good luck could be because my soldering iron is temperature-controlled. It never turns the flux into charcoal. ;D

Guest 1st Mil-Tech

Acetone can be kept in metal or poly bottles.

:-X It will attack most painted materials and plastics and varnishes that are used in electronic components and should be avoided.

Isoproypl Alchohol is a safe alternative. And can be purchased at most hardware and drugstores.

"Gas line antifreeze" for cars is pure, dry Isopropyl Alcohol and "absobs" water in the gas tank and gas lines caused by condensation.
Isopropyl Alcohol that you can purchase might be watered down, or contain water it has absobed from humidity.
I don't think you want to use a cleaner with water in it because it will corrode the copper paths on a pcb.

Water soluble flux will hold water and maybe make conductive paths between tracks on a pcb.