Electronics-Lab.com Community

Daylight Controlled Solid-State Lighting

Hello,

I'm in the process of building a new (small) aquarium and I'm always bothered by lighting problems. I had this idea... Have Red, Green, Blue, UV, and IR LEDs in groups in a large array over the tank to produce realistic lighting. The first problem is, of course, where to find the appropriate LEDs such that I don't have to use hundreds of them to produce white (since LEDs seem to have a narrow wavelength range of output, I'm guessing I'd need a good 20 different types of each R/G/B led to produce something white). Are there broad spectrum LEDs available? Or am I better off using white/uv/ir LEDs?

Ok, so now the plan to control the LEDs... What I had in mind was MOSFETs (or transistors... I don't know much about MOSFETs but from what I can tell they handle large currents better than regular transistors) driven by photoresistors. My original plan was to put the photoresistors outside where they would receive full sunlight, and place each one underneath a bandpass light filter corresponding to the wavelengths of light that the photoresistor (PR from now on) controls.

For example:
PR with ~800nm+ filter on it attached to a source and fed into the gate of a MOSFET. A source attached to the source and drain with infrared LEDs attached to it.
When the sun comes up and produces large amounts of infrared light, the PR will drop its resistance and in turn the MOSFET will sink a large current to the IR leds to reproduce the lighting conditions of outdoors.

That's the basic principle, simply repeat for each spectrum of light... This has many other wonderful benefits such as: completely automated, never have to remember to turn stuff on and off; no need to worry about re-setting the clock on timers for changes in daylight or when the time changes; the ability to mimmic seasonal changes in lighting as well as weather related changes; the ability to mimmic moonlight; and overall the ability to provide the fish with the most realistic and natural lighting conditions possible to help them live a happier, more healthy life, as well as providing plants with essential light to help them grow.

My real problems are:
- Choosing the proper components; I'm new to MOSFETs and I only have limited experience with transistors (I'm good at setting them on fire with a 9v battey too - I have the scorched breadbord to prove it :))
- Locating LEDs that produce a sufficiently broad enough spectrum to limit their quantity to less than about 211 bagillion.
- The dynamics - I know that MOSFETs (or any transistor for that matter) are not linear, and I don't mind my light deviates from the sunlight, I just want it fairly close. I guess the question here is how to calibrate and configure it so that things work properly and reliably. This is probably the most complex problem.

I really need a push in the right direction. I think starting with the LED selection is best, because I can't pick a MOSFET or any other power related component until I have a clue what my power needs will be, which is obviously dictated by the LEDs. After I get the LEDs sorted out, I'd need help figuring out how to chose the proper MOSFETs, since I'm not entirely certain what all the terms on a datasheet refer to (such as Gate-Source breakdown voltage) - I have a clue what it's referring to, I just don't really know how these things affect it's performance and what I need to do to stay within those defined limits.

If anyone's got something to get me started, advice, links, examples, kits, suggestions, etc., I'd be very, very greatful to hear it!

Thanks a lot,

-Scott

P.S. My real experience in electronics is limited to about 5 classes I've taken recently at city college (over the last 3 semesters or so). I'm no engineer, but I am quite capable of learning as I go, and I am fully aware I will need to learn plenty to finish this project, but right now I'm more of a fundamentals-wise person and less of an expert.