Electronics-Lab.com Community

Bowling pinsetter mod

I'm a mechanic at a bowling alley. When a person throws the ball down the lane, the ball goes off the back of the deck and strikes a board hanging down. The board has a mechanical switch up in the corner which activates cycling the machine either to reset and sweep fallen pins, or sweep everything and set a new rack. The scoring system we have has a relay board that will cycle the machine based on scoring. 5v supply will activate relay which in turns closes the aforementioned cycle circuit. My problem is that kids bowl light balls that don't strike the back hard enough to set off the switch. There is an infra-red detector for the scoring that utilizes 5v to let the camera know it needs to take a picture of the pins to see the score. I want to use the 5v trigger for scoring to set off the relay cycling the machine.  When a person rolls the ball, it will activate the detector, the signal from detector will not only set the camera up for scoring, but (possibly after an adjustable time delay) send 5v to the relay board cycling the machine. Anyone have any suggestions as to a simple circuit to accomplish this.