Electronics-Lab.com Community

Electronic Controller

I am at the moment trying to build a small generator to charge 12v deep cycle batteries, which will run some 12v lights and a radio etc. in a remote workshop.
I am using a 3 hp horizontal drive petrol engine, a 65 amp car alternator, and I am building the Richard Perez electronic field controller ver. 8 as described in Home Power, which I shall fit to the alternator.
http://www.homepower.com/files/mark8.pdf

My question is can I ask your experts if they would kindly look at the drawing I have made and let me know if I have got all the connections correct. I believe I have to disconnect the internal regulator in the alternator and leave one brush connected to ground and the 2nd brush connects to the new field controller output. If any of you guys have used this controller I would be grateful for any tips. This is my first attempt at this sort of project and need all the help I can get.

Many thanks

Bert

U.K

post-18000-14279142711375_thumb.jpg

Hi there Bert, and welcome to this forum! :)

First, before you do anything, what is the brand of the alternator?
If it have a regulator buildt in, use that one! It is made for the alternator!
The main reason that Richard Perez buildt his "field controler" is that Chrysler alternators dont have buildt in regulators.

//Staigen

Hello Staigen,
Many thanks for your warm welcome and your reply.
In his article Richard Perez says that car regulators are fine for normal car batteries but not good for deep cycle batteries, which is the type of battery I shall be using in this system.

The alternators I have are both Bosch, one is a K1 the other N1

Regards

Bert

Hi Bert

I did not read the article so closely, but i think thats no problem with using the buildt-in regulators, i will read the article later and come back here with a reply, but at the moment i think the buildt-in regulators of the Bosch alternators are one of the best on the market.

//Staigen