Electronics-Lab.com Community

3v to 12v pc hdd data signal

Hi all,
        I'm new here, I have a project in mind that i don't know how to construct.

I have 2 electroluminescent data cables in my PC that run from the 12v rail and are lit all the time.  What i'd like to do is to get them to light up only with data transfer.

I'd like to run them from the hard drive activity led output from my motherboard but it is only 3v.

I was wondering if anyone can help with ideas, i have been thinking about using a transistor as a switch but am not sure how to do it.

I have a few bc547's and hope that they could do the job???

I am unemployed and all of my "spare" cash goes on my internet connection , so im trying to do it on as tight a budget as possible.

Any help will be greatfully appreciated, thanx in advance.

You can use an opto isolator or Solid State Relay. The 3 volts could run the LED portion which would turn on the relay or transistor section that is connected to the 12 Volt side. If you have the parts in you bin, you could construct something similar from a photo transistor and LED, etc.

Hopefully, this gives you some ideas.

MP