Electronics-Lab.com Community

Dual 741 / 747 modern upgrade

ancuk

Thanks for the quick reply! I know that an 8-pin design won't accommodate null ofset pins - I don't mind if it has 14,16 etc, so long as the package is smaller than my current UA747 design! I fear that adding external compensation circuitry will increase board usage. My design is used in a DAC analogue output board that has varying cable lengths attached to the output - hence the need for offset adjustment. I tried an 'auto-adjusting' circuit on earlier test boards, but wasn't happy with the results. Now back to square-one, and look desparingly at using 747s again, or a couple of SMT 741 upgrades like the AD711 - unless anyone can suggest different  !!  :-[

• 2 weeks later...

The purpose of offset null is to compensate inconsistencies inside the op-amp that do not allow it to zero out when it should. It is not intended for the regulation of varying output loads. This is done through impedance and/or amplification methods. Perhaps I did not fully understand your post, but it does not sound like you are using the offset null correctly.

MP