Electronics-Lab.com Community

Ornament Gift with Color LEDs Design help?!

Hello Everyone and thank you for your time in reading this.

I have a year of electronics in college but that was more then 18 years ago and I have forgotten probably half of it.  So please bare with me. 

A few years ago I purchased this little Christmas Ornaments that you plug into the little light bulb sockets on the christmas lights on the tree.  I really do like them and had the idea of making some for girfts next year. 

These lights only have a single blue LED in a clear plastic ice cute guy.  I was hoping to make something a little more fun with more LED colors that sort of phase into the other colors kind of slowly with an small overlapping in color period.  Maybe 3 colors... heck... maybe 4.... lol or just maybe Red and Green colors.  I guess I am not too picky. 

I would guess Christmas lights run on a 110VAC here in the USA.  So I am not sure how this could be achieved safely with LEDs and some Diodes and maybe with some capacitors.  Maybe I am way of base.  Maybe I am needing some kind of chip for this task. 

what ever I do I would like it to 1) be small to fix correctly if possible. 2) cheep would be second best. 4 kids make the pocket book small with my budget.  These are not all required but would be nice.

So with this all said, would anyone have any advice on how I could get started trying to figure out this thing.  I know if I dont get this going now I will NEVER get them done before next Christmas.

Well thank you EVERYONE for your time again.

Best Wishes all

Kevin in Alaska