Electronics-Lab.com Community

How much mW is a typical IR diodes used in TV remote?

I'm planning of doing an invisible flashlight.. around 7-10Watts equivalent.  I'm not very familiar with IR's.. but i know these have been used in handycams with night mode.  I want to do just like that in DSLR's for indoor photography.

If you have any suggestions.. please also tell me how to do it. 

another question:  in every diode, is it equal to 1 AA size battery?  If i make it 2, will it get brighter?

What's DSLR?

IR remote control LEDs aren't that powerful, you'll need a lot of them to get 7W to 10W.

7W-10W is quite a lot of IR, certainly more than a 100W incandescent.

Does it need to be continuous or is it a pulse, like a camera flash?

Obviously an IR LED is much smaller than an AA cell and of course using two LEDs will make it brighter.

DSLR = Digital SLR - camera..  i would need a continuous light.    What kind of IR does a handycam have anyways?  How much AA battery to light 1 IR LED? If I use 2x AA battery, will it make the IR brighter?

Can anyone give me other options aside from IR LED's...?! 

DSLR = Digital SLR - camera..  i would need a continuous light.    What kind of IR does a handycam have anyways? 

I don't know, I would guess 800nm to 1000nm.

Look at the datasheet, ask the the manufacturer.

How much AA battery to light 1 IR LED?

A single AA cell could be used to light an LED but you'll need a boost converter.

If I use 2x AA battery, will it make the IR brighter?

It depends on how you design the circuit, an IR LED powered by two AA cells won't necessarily be brighter than it would if it were powered from a single cell but it will last for longer.

Can anyone give me other options aside from IR LED's...?! 

An incandescent lamp with an IR filter.

thanks for the reply... i kinda like the IR filter... but will it be invisible with a normal eyes?

It won't be completely invisible, some visible light will get through so you'll be able to see the filament dimly glowing red.

and.. will it be visible on a digital camera?
I don't know, it depends on the type of camera, I'm no photography expert.