Electronics-Lab.com Community

Oscillator Circuit, going for higher frequencies (RF Tx-Rx)

Greetings everybody !

I've been trying to build an oscillator for my RF transmitter for quite some time now. I got well most of the theories right except the RF part which I do not want to go into very deep. This will be my first transmitter so I intend to make & learn from scratch and with simiplicity.

I am aiming for ~350MHz as the 6th oscillation overtone frequency (I have a 62 MHz XTAL); since I studied that inductors are inappropriate below 1 uH due to a lot of factors. I used inductors as low as 1 uH where it was crucially required, such as the RF choke.

Achieving this target for some reason it is now becoming a bit of a head ache. By modifying various component values in the oscillator I had squeezed out a maximum of ~48 Mhz with Vout (~400 mV). The Vout isnt much of a problem. I will be staging it with a Class C amplifier as my final stage (2 stage transmitter; osc + Class C Power Amp). By looking at the schematics if someone could help me out in my endeavour.
              Ask me anything you may, I will provide you with all the information

Simulation Note: The design is VDB, Common Base, with Clapp/Colpitts trials (which ever works). The final Oscillator design will be with a 62 MHz XTAL. Since my Multsim didnt feature a 62 MHz Oscillator, for the purpose of testing I'll use a 80 MHz (being closest to 62 MHz & the 6th overtone) in simulation.

Design Note: VDB, Common Base, Clapp/Colpitts, Capacitive coupling. I dont intend to use ICs

Ok so I did a bit of more trial & error tweaking and here's what I got.

>I added a second stage, Class C type amplifier. Ironically all I could do was improve the frequency and to some extent the voltage from the second stage output.
  Leaving the 1 uH inductor in the second stage alone, I was able to squeeze as high as 81 MHz (Woot) but that's still a long way till ~350 MHz. Although in the simulation, upon decreasing the value of the inductor in the second stage down to 100 nH (impractical for real implementation) I omphed out 204 MHz without much effect on voltage.
  So it seems I need to pull out another rabbit out of the hat to avoid, decreasing inductor values lower than 1 uH and having more than two stages.

This circuit is for the transmitter; the key goal is to achieve 6 v(p-p) out of the second stage @ ~350 MHz, with sufficient current to keep me low profile and not wake up the entire neighbourhood. My Antenna is a 10" vertical rod and the intended distance is like ~2-3 metres. This is all what I am working for on the transmitter side. If things turn out well within 6 hours I can get started on the receiver.

Help would be much appreciate  :)

Note: If I forgot to mention this tranmitter will not be transmitting any audio, instead it is more like a RF morse coder. Notice the switch, it is there for a reason.